In-vehicle wifi

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Can anyone recommend a good system? The wife and I have both have unlimited data, preventing us from setting up a mobile hotspot. Would like to use our existing iPad to play movies (streaming) instead of investing in a portable DVD player/movies.

94_Vert

Established Member
I've had sprint and verizon phones that you can use as a hotspot without rooting that just uses your phone data. You're going to pay another $20-30 per month for in car service.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'm not really sure how else you're going to get wifi in the car unless you are paying for it. In that case, you should be able to use your phone even if that means paying the hot spot fee. What carrier do you have? My experience lately has been I can use my phone as a hot spot without paying a fee as long as I don't go over my data (both verizon and sprint).

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
I've had sprint and verizon phones that you can use as a hotspot without rooting that just uses your phone data. You're going to pay another $20-30 per month for in car service.

Not possible per AT&T unless I "upgrade" my data plan, which we do not wish to do at this time.

I'll look into rooting, but I'm much more interested in a stand-alone router of some sort, or at least the experiences of previous/current users of them.

AAG

Established Member
Not possible per AT&T unless I "upgrade" my data plan, which we do not wish to do at this time.

I'll look into rooting, but I'm much more interested in a stand-alone router of some sort, or at least the experiences of previous/current users of them.

Upgrade. Your unlimited data gets capped at 5 gigs any way and you will pay less on an ATT Mobile Share Plan. My bill went from $190 to $140 for 3 lines and we share 20 gigs of data. Prior to that, I was on unlimited, my wife only had 3 gigs and my MIL had no data.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Root your phone.

This.

or if an iphone, jailbreak it.

You can if you dont have unlimited data.

Upgrade. Your unlimited data gets capped at 5 gigs any way and you will pay less on an ATT Mobile Share Plan. My bill went from $190 to $140 for 3 lines and we share 20 gigs of data. Prior to that, I was on unlimited, my wife only had 3 gigs and my MIL had no data.

Bandwidth gets throttled.

But its hit or miss from what ive seen. Ive downloaded 3 brrips in an airport once (not on wifi) before a flight and didnt get throttled.

also fwiw, I think soon theyre going to not be able to throttle with unlimited. And those with tiered data plans are gonna get raped soon with the fact files are always increasing in size and HD content and such. Watch alot of HD content on your phone? Gonna burn though those gigs quick. Wait until you see bandwidth useage on streaming 4k (which phones will probably have the capacity soon to play), holy shit.

Last edited:

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
This.

or if an iphone, jailbreak it.

You can if you dont have unlimited data.

But its hit or miss from what ive seen. Ive downloaded 3 brrips in an airport once (not on wifi) before a flight and didnt get throttled.

also fwiw, I think soon theyre going to not be able to throttle with unlimited. And those with tiered data plans are gonna get raped soon with the fact files are always increasing in size and HD content and such. Watch alot of HD content on your phone? Gonna burn though those gigs quick. Wait until you see bandwidth useage on streaming 4k (which phones will probably have the capacity soon to play), holy shit.

Thanks for getting to those for me. It's not uncommon for me to have 10 GB+ data when I travel and don't have access to wifi. Changing plans is really not an option right now. I'm not against rooting my phone, but my wife's is pretty new and I don't want to jeopardize any future warranty/etc issues that may come up. The problem with that is my wife will be the primary user of this, so it doesn't help for it to be on my phone.

Still holding out for any routers/equipment that stays with the vehicle that have monthly subscriptions, that aren't priced outrageously.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Verizon does not throttle...at least not wroth me.

M y buddy picked up a clearchoice hotspot for 40 bucks a month unlimited, xlte, in Clt anyway.

Ill be jumping to Tmo soon though.

Last edited:

AAG

Established Member

I have wi-fi at home and at work so an unlimited data seems useless to me. With my 20 gig plan I rolled over 15 of those this month. I'll take the 20 gigs and a $50 savings on my bill over my old "unlimited" data plan. I actually want to lower my data plan, but the lower gig plans on ATT aren't worth the price at the moment.

Hopefully with what google is doing they'll start to add better competitive data plans.

Last edited:

hoamskilet

Established Member
Verizon does not throttle...at least not wroth me.

M y buddy picked up a clearchoice hotspot for 40 bucks a month unlimited, xlte, in Clt anyway.

Ill be jumping to Tmo soon though.
I'd think twice about switching to tmobile. My wife and I did since they were offering unlimited everything $100/month and their coverage is an absolute joke (at least where I'm at)

AAG

Established Member
I'd think twice about switching to tmobile. My wife and I did since they were offering unlimited everything $100/month and their coverage is an absolute joke (at least where I'm at)

That's why they offer wi-fi calling :rolling:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
That's why they offer wi-fi calling :rolling:
Pretty much :lol1:

I have T-Mo switched from Unlimited VZW (sold accounts of course!). Don’t really miss it, im hardly away from the city and get as good as reception as I did with VZW (better at work actually). The savings worked better for me. Ever since they upgraded my TWC to 200mbps, I hardly use my phone’s 4G.

Vigilante

Established Member
I don't know what phones you have(or service), but I know on Galaxy phones you can bypass the restriction by downloading a app like "portable wi-fi hotspot" (white background, blue wi-fi logo) and set up the wi-fi settings in the app. Then turn on portable wi-fi, you'll still get the message that you need to pay, but just click the home button(this works because Galaxy phones have a physical home button).

You see the VZW solution for blocking this is while the message is up, it "locks" your wifi settings forcing you to click accept or cancel. But like I said before, if you edit them before hand the app runs in the background after pressing home and you have unlimited(and free) wi-fi.

Edited because I'm apparently bad at grammar.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
Can anyone recommend a good system? The wife and I have both have unlimited data, preventing us from setting up a mobile hotspot. Would like to use our existing iPad to play movies (streaming) instead of investing in a portable DVD player/movies.

no need to root your phone if you have an android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi

I am on Verizon unlimited text/talk/data still (grandfathered in), and I use FoxFi to make my phone's internet into a hotspot tether to my laptop (which I'm posting from now).

Users who are viewing this thread