In tank pick ups

96dreamer

Established Member
What are thoughts on tank pickups for the 79-98 cars.

I thought I had the rest my fuel system figured out. Stock 96 tank with in tank pick up to a fuelab 42401 pump(with pre and post filters) going to the fuel lab regulator already installed. After talking with a certain fuel system manufacturer I'm having reservations going this route.

I know the in tank pickup isn't necessarily a perfect solution but I wasn't able to find anyone that had any issues with cavitation or running low on fuel. The big draw for me is allowing me to use the factory 96 tank vs upgrading to an 03/04 and multi pump hat or a sumped tank which I'm not a real big fan of. I know I've seen a few members here have good luck with them. The other option is a Glenns sumped sleeper tank which seems like a pretty good option albeit about 2x the cost of the pickup.

On the pump side of things I had planned on the fuelab 42401 because of the dual speed functionality that I could take advantage of with my MS3. The hope here was reduced heat and noise when 100% pump is not needed. From what I was told I would be lucky to make it a few years using the fuelab stuff. I'm making a separate thread for the fuel pump but figured I would get feedback on it here if anyone had any.
Thoughts?

SVTurbo

Established Member
I ran the Granatelli pick-up with an A1000 external for about 10 years. The pick up worked fine, no problems. The external pump always got hot and noisy after about an hour or so of street driving in the Florida heat. Even tried using the Aeromotive pump voltage controller. But I eventually ended up switching it all to an in-tank AEM 320.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
I've been running an in-tank pick up in my car for the better part of a decade with zero issues. Just last week I ran my car down to less than 1/8 of a tank (per the factory fuel gauge) without any issues. During this time of low fuel levels in the tank, I never did go wot. I didn't go wot because of low fuel levels though, but because I'm in the process of breaking in a new clutch, just in case that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread