In or Out - Air silencer ???

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Stock intake out. Get the K&N FIPK and don't waste your money on the air filter. You can get the K&N kit for around $180 and has proven up to 30 RWHP gains.

Taking the snorkel out will buy you a couple HP, so will the K&N. I went that route and it was a waste of money, bought the Amazon Stage 1. . then bought the K&N FIPK. Get the K&N FIPK.

Originally posted by Abe Abromowitz
'04 Cobra - leave the Air silencer in or take it out?

I was told to put in a K&N Filter and take the silencer out.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
yank the snorkle & the stock airbax out & get a CAI.

If undecided do a search. That will keep you busy for a while, lol.

FWIW, I went with the K&N FIPK & I'm very happy with it.

jshen

Established Member
KEEP SNORKLE!

OUT of the car...but keep it. It's something, that when you sell car, you will want to put back on to return to stock. Also, if for some unknown reason...you need warranty work that involves engine stuff...I would put it back on. Having said that...I hope you discovered the way of properly removing snorkle...THAT I didn't...and cost me a few stitches ..You remove this whole assembly from the throttle body forward..and it slides right out. Damn simple...except I didn't get the word on it until after stitches were removed...........:cuss:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Sorry for the triple post!!! i searched for a long time unitl I deiced on the KN FIPK. Really makes to blowe wail at WOT. Sounds dynomite!! Real SOP increase. Wouldn't buy anything else, through the fender our otherwise. Best dollars I spent yet!

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
How does the K&N fipk differ from the the K&N filter you drop in the stock box? It looks to me like they are about the same. Does the kit come with anything else that I am not seeing?

Thanks, and not meaning to highjack your thread.. but I have removed the silencer and dropped in the K&N and have been very happy with it so far. What do I stand to gain by going to the FIPK over my current configuration?

Thanks,

Ken

:beer: :beer:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
So thats it, no air box. the filter looks about the same.. seems to me with the silencer removed and and the big opening in the box facing the the big hole in the fender, the box would help keep some the of the engine campartment heat away from the intake...

no?

I am just trying to figure out how much more there is to gain by losing the box?

thanks,

Ken

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
where can u get directions on how to remove stock silencer, thanks.

btw, redoe intake and take out silencer
:)

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
Originally posted by kens03cobra
How does the K&N fipk differ from the the K&N filter you drop in the stock box? It looks to me like they are about the same. Does the kit come with anything else that I am not seeing?

Thanks, and not meaning to highjack your thread.. but I have removed the silencer and dropped in the K&N and have been very happy with it so far. What do I stand to gain by going to the FIPK over my current configuration?

Thanks,

Ken

:beer: :beer:

Nice plate Ken, I love to abuse the zox' :burnout:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The K&N FIPK filter is WAY bigger than the stock filter or stock K&N filter replacement. It's also near twice the diameter and has a velocity "donut" that help increase air velocity. You're gaining 5 to 10 HP with just the K&N filter, you gain up to 30 with the FIPK. They are not the same whatsoever. Also, the bracket serves as a heat shield.

To think that the stock airbox is good enough .... you need to understand that the more the filter element is open, the better ... not enclosed in a plastic "bullet" with a small opening for air.

Okay, here are pics to compare. This is AMAZON STAGE 1 CAI (bigger than stock) vs. the K&N FIPK (bigger than stock and wider than amazon, plus note the velocity donut):

intakepic6.gif

intakepic5.gif

intakepic4.gif

intakepic3.gif

intakepic2.gif

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/news/press.aspx?ID=43

RIVERSIDE, CA - The 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra is one of the most exciting American vehicles of all time. In box-stock form, its supercharged 4.6L DOHC V-8 pumps out 390 horsepower. Now '03 Cobra owners can break the 400-HP barrier with K&N Engineering's new Fuel Injection Performance Kit (FIPK® part # 57-2545). .Testing on K&N's Dynojet 248 dynamometer revealed that this kit produced up to a 30 peak HP gain at the rear wheels! Cobras fitted with aftermarket exhausts experienced even greater improvements.

K&N developed this kit from scratch. Preliminary testing with pre-existing filters and intake tubes hinted at substantial gains and sent engineers back to the drawing board to eke out every possible horsepower. They developed a new conical FilterCharger® filter that's longer and has a different taper than the company's comparable applications. This new filter single-handedly accounts for 5-7 additional HP. Also, varying tract configurations didn't make appreciable power gains, so this K&N kit retains the OE intake tube. Resulting cost-savings are passed on to the customer. The art and science of the K&N's Cobra FIPK® is in its special radius adapter that mates the filter to the OE bigger-for-2003 mass-air sensor and allows for smooth airflow from the filter to the intake tract

Last edited:

Abe Abromowitz

Established Member
Since it rains so much down here in So Florida, do I have to worry about an air filter that is NOT inside a box? or will it be OK? This is my daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread