In need of some help

perry2k12

Established Member
Ok, so I have an 89 ranger with a 331 stroker and a tko 5 speed. I am wanting to know what I need to do to run it on e85, the truck is currently set up for 110 octane race fuel but no gas stations near me have any race fuel and I cant afford it. My current carb. is a demon 650. Please help.

I'm not 100% sure but since the truck is already set up for the 110, would I even have to do anything at all?

Ironhand

Banned
Well. Carbs is gonna be completely different then what a Cobra would require.

First your gonna check if your current pump will handle ethanal or not. If it does then check that it will support the power your making plus 33%. If it does then your set on the pump side.

Your fuel line must allow ethanol fuel as well. If it doesnt then you will have to replace it with something compatible.

Im not sure the carb you have on it, will work or not but I will say that it will have to be completely gone through, rejeted, and maybe have the floats replaced. Some carbs are ok with E-85 on just rejetting alone. While others require a complete overhaul to allow use of E-85 in that carb and have it run currectly.

331Stroker

Stroked
Established Member
I am the one with the truck, and about half of the lines are steel braided and the rest is normal rubber hose.

Ironhand

Banned
As I stated before, you have to make sure every part of your fuel system is compatible with ethanol.

Also, just because its steel braided does not mean it will work with E-85. The line has rubber on the inside and it must be able to take the corrosive nature of E-85. Same goes for the other half of your rubber lines.

With a carb you need volume and not pressure. That means your lines will have to be fairly large to accommodate enough E-85 at the 6-9 psi that crabs traditionally run off of.

You'll need to call around to several carb companies and ask how you need to set up your carb for E-85. Your carb now may not be able to use E-85 at all. Or a small rebuild kit could be all you need to make it work successfully.

Users who are viewing this thread