In-Dash MPG question..

RioRed4v

Established Member
Since swapping over to my 20" Roush setup i've obviously noticed a drop in MPG's. On average, it seems to be about 1mpg.

Question though is how accurate that is. I don't have a tune so I haven't been able to adjust the speedo readout.

Using a tire size calc I get:
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
255/40-19 4.0in 13.5in 27.0in 84.9in 746 0.0%
275/40-20 4.3in 14.3in 28.7in 90.0in 704 6.0%

Also, is this making a substantial difference in my odometer reading?

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Since swapping over to my 20" Roush setup i've obviously noticed a drop in MPG's. On average, it seems to be about 1mpg.

Question though is how accurate that is. I don't have a tune so I haven't been able to adjust the speedo readout.

Using a tire size calc I get:

Also, is this making a substantial difference in my odometer reading?

Mine isn't all that accurate. It usually reads about 22-23mph on average and I actually get 25 - 26 hand calculated.

You can change your tire size in your tune so your speedo is reading correctly too.

RioRed4v

Established Member
I dont have a tune.

But regarding the math, if I do it by hand it should be correct, right? It would only be the dash readout that is incorrect..?

03Cobra1979

Established Member
I dont have a tune.

But regarding the math, if I do it by hand it should be correct, right? It would only be the dash readout that is incorrect..?

Yep, providing you have the math skills of a 2nd grader at a minimum you will always be more reliable than the dash is. Most people call the MPG read out a "Liar Gauge". It is off by like 4 - 5mpg in my diesel truck.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
actually, the miles of actual travel will be slightly higher than what your car is reading, since it still thinks you are turning a 746 revs/mile tire. It won't amount to much though, maybe a couple .

And FWIW, my dash MPG readout is spot on to my hand calcs in my 2013 GT. It also depends on if you stop pumping when the pumps clicks or keep filling up after it clicks, on how much you are off on the hand calcs.

RioRed4v

Established Member
actually, the miles of actual travel will be slightly higher than what your car is reading, since it still thinks you are turning a 746 revs/mile tire. It won't amount to much though, maybe a couple .

And FWIW, my dash MPG readout is spot on to my hand calcs in my 2013 GT. It also depends on if you stop pumping when the pumps clicks or keep filling up after it clicks, on how much you are off on the hand calcs.

My current revs/mile would be 704 with the 20's and the stock setup would be 746.

*edit* nvm, i think i see what you're saying now.

I'll play around with hand calculations to see how it compares.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
try this:

Fill car up until pumps self stops and reset trip odometer. After burning through that tank of gas, fill the car up again until the pumps stops itself. Then compare your hand calc MPGs with the dash readout.

Then on the 3rd fillup, fill the car up past the point of self stop and see how far off from the computer your hand calcs are with the add't fuel. Shouldn't be much, but worth a look.

Mike50

Established Member
I used to calculate it by hand each time I filled up, and it would always end up higher than the readout on the dash (which I reset after filling up) by 1-3 MPG.

Users who are viewing this thread