IMRC Woahs.

Psychoholic

Established Member
I can't seem to keep the IMRC plates from staying closed. When I clear the codes it runs like a raped ape, but then about 30 minutes later, their back on.

Anybody had this problem?

Chris (Psychoholic)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Never had that one. They're supposed to open up at 3250 or there about. How are you checking to see if they are opening? It sounds like a tach input wire might be bad or something of the like.

svtcobra553

Established Member
I don't now if this will help but on my 98 i was having the same problem tripping the imrc code I ended up buying a new box for like 90.00$ all it ended up being was the plug onthe box had come loose. how I have no idea.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
553, where did you find this loose wire? Mine trips about once every other month and then goes off, just like the manual says it will, three complete cold starts later. Last Friday I followed a '67-69 Firebird (with the twin nostrils with 400 on them) onto the highway and held third at around 4,500 for a few seconds, nailed it, shifted to fourth and shut down around 110. Look down and, sure enough the MIL is glowing on the dash (I whipped the Pontiac, BTW :-D). Three cold starts later...gone.

svtcobra553

Established Member
It wasn't just one wire it was the plug thatgoes into the black box it had started to come off there is a clip on it so i don't now how it did. my light was doing the same thing going on and off and on the top end when the light was on it wasn't running right after I tor the intake and everything off it was alittle frusterating to find it was only the plug but I put the new box in anyway since I was in there already, didn't want to take any chances.

Psychoholic

Established Member
Where exactly is this black box? If that is the solution, I'll send you a gift certificate to a decent restraunt in your area!!!! (and you get to become my hero of the day)

Chris (Psychoholic)

svtcobra553

Established Member
It is bolted on the bottom of the intake the intake has to come off to get to it. if my memory serves me right it is a galvinized box with a black cover with 2 cables coming out one side and the plug i mentioned coming out next to them. and like i said before all mine was was the plug had some how come unclipped and started to work itself off. Its kind of frustrating to tear all that shit off the moter just for one plug but if thats all it is it may save you some money on a new box.

Thanx SVT

Established Member
I've got the exact same problem with my '96 Cobra. The dealer claimed I'd have to replace the entire IMRC module.

I'll give this a try instead (thanks svtcobra553)!

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
1st reply on here for me. Tomorrow my 1996 low milage cobra goes into the shop for warranty work on the same problem (IRMC malfunction). Mine tripped the code also (IRMC stuck open). Check your warranty manual on page 15-16 and 21. I think 7years or 70000 miles certain emission parts including the intake and IRMC are still under warranty. Read the fine print. The dealer wont tell you. I found that in some cases they didnt know. It may save you some money for other mods.

Ray

Top speeding in Germany

Psychoholic

Established Member
YOU ARE MY HERO!

I'm gonna try that this week!

I'll let you know if that fixed the problem

Maybe then that 12.92 @ 105.2 will be replaced with something more reasonable (like a 12.5 or 12.6 at 107+)

scothew_gt

Established Member
Re: Re: Excellent Resource

Originally posted by 96SNAKE
Hey, that's me..:thumbsup:

pulled this thread up from teh grave, but i just wanted to say thanks for the write up on the IMRC replacement.... Its the first real info i have found on this subject. Going to be checking into it on my car this weekend i believe.

White98SVT

Established Member
I actually checked my engine codes and it came up with one (can't remember which one) that was the cable that controlled them was snapped....yup that was cheap to fix:nonono:

scothew_gt

Established Member
My car isnt throwing any codes that I can tell. The CE light isnt on at all.

from what my dyno chart shows me, after about 3500 rpm (when the IMRC should be open) the car is jumping around ALOT. After 6k rpm it just dies as far as power and the a/f goes from like 11.5:1 to the high 12's possibly into the 13's.

DYNO CHART PIC

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by scothew_gt
My car isnt throwing any codes that I can tell. The CE light isnt on at all.

from what my dyno chart shows me, after about 3500 rpm (when the IMRC should be open) the car is jumping around ALOT. After 6k rpm it just dies as far as power and the a/f goes from like 11.5:1 to the high 12's possibly into the 13's.

DYNO CHART PIC

Looks like it's pulling timing for some reason which would also show why you are running rich. You want to stay in the higher 12's with a NA vehicle for a/f ratio.

scothew_gt

Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah
Looks like it's pulling timing for some reason which would also show why you are running rich. You want to stay in the higher 12's with a NA vehicle for a/f ratio.

could it be running rich from not getting enough air because hte IMRC vavles arent opening up properly and the computer is trying to compensate for this??? i am just trying to narrow down what could be causing my car to act up like this.

you guys have been the greatest help so far!

Users who are viewing this thread