IMRC valve replacement possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokidawg

Established Member
After "Check Engine" light came on in my 1996 cobra, my garage tells me I need new IMRC valve (Ford P/N F6ZZ9J559BB). Ford apparently no longer even offers a replacement, the part is marked obsolete. Have looked through the various threads on IMRC deletes, but this motor is otherwise stock, and would like to keep it that way. Anyone know of any solution to this issue, or aftermarker supplier, used parts (I didn't turn up any on Ebay, but my search wasn't exhaustive), other replacement solutions? TIA

caliboy08

Established Member
Are you sure the imrc valves aren't gummed up? If the controller has failed, look for a used one. Plenty of people doing deletes may have the box still...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I might have the valves laying around if you end up needing them, but unless something got into your motor and messed them up- if it's IMRC related- they're sticking due to build up or your IMRC controller is faulty- both very easy fixes. dont' let the garage talk you into shit you don't need

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
give them a good cleaning, its the most likely issue and easiest/cheapest way to fix

lokidawg

Established Member
Thanks guys for all the fast replies! Additionally, I have just a few quick questions:

I assume by the "controller" or "box" you all are referring to the unit (red outline) pictured here:

imrc_detail.gif

Correct?

If the IMRC assemblies themselves are just gunked up (and would otherwise be functional after cleaning), but the control unit is not working, will control units from any 1996-1998 cobra work? -- I read about some incompatibilities over these years ...

On this [ame="http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=40740"]thread[/ame]there is talk of the Cobra IMRCs being electronically actuated (I'm assuming by the control unit), versus IMRCs on same year 4.6L Lincoln Mark VII being vacuum actuated ... is this correct?

@whtcobra1998: do you have the control unit alone (9J559 in pic above)?

Thanks is advance again for all your help- :)

CJK440

Established Member
Yup, thats the controller box.

If the IMRC butterflies are gunked to the point of not opening fully you should be able to notice it when your reach behind and manually rotate them. If the open freely, replace the box.....

lokidawg

Established Member
OK, garage says the control unit is indeed bad (part # again = F6ZZ9J559BB), and new replacements no longer available from Ford or any other OEM. Anyone have one of these for sale?

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
Thanks guys for all the fast replies! Additionally, I have just a few quick questions:

I assume by the "controller" or "box" you all are referring to the unit (red outline) pictured here:

Since you have found the picture of the controller on Ford's Parts website, I have found that if you place the part into the cart, and it doesn't say "obsolete" then you should be able to place the order for that part. 400 bucks is pretty stiff however for the controller in question.
here is the part in the parts catalog:
Part Number Part Description Price Your Price Availability Quantity
9J559
Intake Manifold Runner Control Module
4.6L; DOHC
$409.90 Add to cart

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread