IMRC trouble

myblk32v

Established Member
Well my CEL has been on in my cobra for the past couple of days. Yesterday i got around to pulling the codes and the code i pulled was P1518. I looked it up and this is what it said "Intake Manifold Runner Control (Stuck Open)" What am i gonna need to do to fix this problem and how much is it gonna cost me. BTW this is on a 1996 Cobra with 114k miles.

SNK BITN

Established Member
You can either replace the IMRC controller box and clean your IMRC's off or you can delete them and get a tune.

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
My CEL has come on as well...but I get code P1516 IMRC. Is it a big deal? Does the above statements apply to me as well? Thanks..

Javi

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Originally posted by JAVZCOBRA
Sorry for asking but what exactly do u mean my "DELETING" the IMRC?

"deleting" the IMRC's is basically taking the "butterfly's" that open at 3200 RPM out and letting the car run w/o them. You'll need to get a chip burned as the extra air coming into your motor.

http://www.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/imrc.html has a good "how-to", but I will post a better one(I hope) either tonight or tomorrow with better pics and stuff. It's not a bad job if your somewhat mechanically inclined and WELL worth it. :thumbsup:

PM me if you have any more questions.

Mike

budguy1967

Established Member
Wouldnt the gas mileage go down considerable without the IMRC's? and the tradeoff is that you gain 20 hp under 3200 rpm's? Does it help the car on the line any better?

97whitecobra

Established Member
In my experience: Yes, gas milage goes down and NO you do NOT gain ANY hp under 4500 rpm's.

BUD: What do you mean about helpin the car at the line? At launch?

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
Soooo..then deleting is a good thing right? I mean if gas mileage drops that would be no big deal to me. I just wouldnt want to Lose any HP whatsoever. What chip make would u recommend??

97whitecobra

Established Member
I lost midrange driveability because of lost torque and some hp also.

I am to assume you are only worried about the dragstrip. My guess is you will go a couple tenths slower or more if you don't port the intakes to bring you back to EVEN at best from where you are.

What are you trying to gain from the deletes?

davesbedroom

Established Member
At how many miles down this need to be done? My car just turned 50k. Would it be worth it for me to do this just to clean everything, preventitive maintiance?? Will there be a check engine light when it breaks?

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
WhiteCobra....It's not that I want to delete them, its that ever so often I get CODE P1516 IMRC. Usually when I stomp on it or Im driving in 2nd or 3rd and let the RPMs rise before shifting. The CEL stays on for maybe 30 mins. or so then turns off. So when I read the above thread, I figured deleting was the best option. Now, Im just not sure.

Peter

Established Member
Originally posted by JAVZCOBRA
Dam, couldnt see the article. Pete what code did u get?

I believe it was 1516, my friend pulled the code said it was
runner stuck closed. I started doing the job last night, it's
going good, just have to figure how to drain the coolant
for when I pull those tubes away from intake front bolts.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread