IMRC - to keep or not to keep?

baldguy

Established Member
I'm running 8 PSI through my procharger on a low-miles (54k) stock bottom-end '98. I keep getting a P1516 code, which I know means i need to at least clean the IMRC plates. I also notice, on occasion, a loss of power that I'm (perhaps naively) attributing to the IMRC issue. Most of the time it's plenty of power but sometimes it just feels weak, like the blower was somehow turned off. Obviously that can't be the case so my current target is IMRC. I'm considering just deleting them since it's not a small amount of time investment to clean them. But then I hear horror stories about low-end torque loss. I don't take this car to the track, nor do I ever intend to. It's just a nice-weather fun car that is in gorgeous condition.

With this level of boost, I don't think it's the pressure holding them shut. With 4.10 gears it's plenty easy to stay above 3250 RPM when I really want to move but I guess my main concern is with cruising. Am I just stuck cleaning these things once a year? I'm hoping that with the blower and the gears, I can get away with deletes... but how much am I going to regret the deletes when I'm just putting around town on a nice day?

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Get rid of them, pointless with a blower and tune

You won't even know they're gone.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

Grillmaster13

Established Member
I don't have a blower yet, but I don't miss my imrc's. The missing bottom end torque seems negligible. I still have accidental wheel spin at low rpm when leaving in first. Once in a while it seems sluggish when accelerating from 2k rpm, but downshifting solves it. I'd delete them.

baldguy

Established Member
thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to order a set of deletes so I can stop worrying about those silly plates

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Yeah you need a tune to turn off the cel for the imrcs but they will also mess with timing and fuel to make up the bottom end loss so you won't feel it. I got Mmr deletes, they fit pretty good. Make sure you get new gaskets too

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread