IMRC stuck open

(SVT Contour)

So I got a P1518 code which is the IMRC stuck open. I'm just wondering what anyone else who has run into this problem did to fix the problem. I appreciate the help.

Edit 1: So I just took the throttle body and intake manifold off and the control rod had slipped out of the hole and bushing in the back. I'm assuming that was the problem.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention my secondaries are opening but I'm not getting the extra boost of horsepower at 3900 rpm. It hasn't had that boost since I got this car a month ago, it's a 2000. Any ideas on why that would be happening?

Last edited:

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
I bought a '99 last night that had the same code pop up and having the same lacking that you described. I'm going to tear into this weekend, and I might be able to shed some light on this issue.

00SVTC

Established Member
the IMRC is notorious for failing. You should be able to see it opening by looking under the throttle body and revving the engine. The linkage rod connecting front to back can pop out too, only giving you the rears. This wouldnt give you a code, though. It sounds like your IMRC control unit maybe starting to go south.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
whats fun is replacing that itty bitty nylon washer. you will drop it and have to go spelunking to find it.

loc0gring0

Established Member
most of the time its the nylon washer that goes like scoriox said... its not fun to do but its pretty simple once you do it a few times lol

Users who are viewing this thread