IMRC question/opinions.

Chris_98Cobra

Established Member
I'm still new to this car, so I'm feeling things out.

No CEL but pulling codes for my bank 2 IMRC and I never really felt like the car had a ton of kick above 3k, no bogging or anything, just nothing noticeable. So today I reached behind the intake and can easily open both IMRCs, no binding or anything. Had my kid rev the car and noticed that bank 2 isn't opening. Bank 1 opens fine, but bank 2 is just sitting there closed. No cable pull, nothing. (EDIT: I just played around with it some more and realized that bank cable had a lot of play in it, so I pulled on it gently and the entire cable came out of the sheath. I completely removed the inner cable and it was frayed on the end that was inside the box. Not sure how that even happens.)

My first question is, can I zip tie that one bank open until I sort it out? Would there be any negative or positive effects from doing this? I don't want to make things worse until I figure out which route to take.

Then it's a matter of replacing it with a used one, I found one for $200 (controller and alum runners). Or removing them which means I need a tune. From what I understand the tune doesn't just help with the low end issues having them open, if I don't have a tune the car will have issues above 3k with the PCM not reading the IMRC opening. I guess my first question is about zip tying the one runner open. I don't know if the PCM is already adjusting for that bank staying closed, which keeping it open would have bigger issues, or if the PCM isn't altering spark because it knows one side is opening.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

Chris_98Cobra

Established Member
Forgot to add, the car does have 3.73 gears. I know having a higher gear will help with low end tq. I'm just unsure of the spark issues with removing the imrc alltogether.

Chris_98Cobra

Established Member
Been a while and I totally forgot to ziptie the functional bank.

I ziptied the non-functioning bank and took it for a quick ride, then parked it and started working on my trunk leak. Forgot about the imrc issue and took he car to work the other day. First thing I noticed was that in 5th gear on the highway the car felt like it was missing, I could hear some backfiring through the exhaust and it dogged bad. Then I started playing around and realized that this happened in 3rd and 4th gear as well, but only below 3k. I couldn't test that in 5th because I would have been doing 90. So I kept testing it in 3rd and 4th, below 3k it dogged and backfired, above 3k it was fine. I assumed this is because I have one bank open all the time and the other functioning properly.

Which makes me wonder, if I delete the imrc's all together, is this how the car is going to feel under 3k until I get it tuned? I'm going to just go the route of filling the holes, cleaning the secondary ports. I know I'll get a tuner at some point, but probably not right away.

Users who are viewing this thread