improperly filled out tickets?

razyracer

Established Member
hi, ive had a really bad week with tickets... i got a speeding ticket when i wasnt speeding, and got a ticket for not having my lights on (DOH!)

both tickets, however, say that i need to attend adult traffic court..... but i am only 17 years old.... would this be cause for an invalid ticket? and do you think it will just be thrown out?

thanks for the help

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
There is no such thing as juvenile traffic court, in the case of a summary offense, all are considered adults. You assume the adult responsibility and privilidge of driving, you attend adult court.

Hope that clears it up:D :D

sbro712

Established Member
razyracer--

Once you turn 17 you're an adult as far as tickets go---so sorry, time to grow up and face the music:)

One of the most fun days in my career was when a certain gangbanger that I had a hate/hate relationship with turned 17--he hadn't paid any of the tickets that I had written him over the last couple of years and I got to take him to adult jail for the first time. He had over $10,000 dollars in warrants....took him awhile to sit them out.:shrug:

razyracer

Established Member
on the ticket there is an option to check off either juvenile traffic court or adult traffic court... so there must be a juvenile traffic court or the option wouldnt be there

razyracer

Established Member
nevermind, i asked the police officer at my school and he says its the same also...traffic court is the same... live and learn

i just find it odd that there is a little box on the bottom of the ticket that you can check to send me to Juvenile traffic court.... when there is no such thing as juvenile traffic court...... weird

thanks for the help

razyracer

Established Member
actually after doing more research isnt it illegal for me to represent myself in court because i am under 18 regardless of the offense? wouldnt that make this ticket invalid?

sbro712

Established Member
You are 17. You may not be able to vote or buy beer but in the eyes of the law you are an adult and are able to face the consequences of your actions on your own without an adult to hold your hand.

You could even go to adult prison if you commited a heinous enough crime.

Hell, here in Texas you could go to the death chamber.

Welcome to adulthood.

Ginsu

Established Member
Not sure about your state but in Georgia once someone turns 17 then they are considered an adult under criminal law.

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
I got a ticket once and they had put the wrong intersection and the wrong time on the slip . . . didn't matter though.

Took D-Driving and got it taken off.

razyracer

Established Member
i live in california.... so do you think i could get out of this one, since i am underage

jshen

Established Member
No

I don't want to get flamed and keep in mind I'm a "car guy", but I'm also a prosecuting atty...who specializes in these things. Whether the ticket says adult or juvenile...one court or another...it is nothing more than what's termed "notice pleading"....i.e. telling you you got a ticket for speeding. The court that is on your ticket for you to appear in is not "fatal" to ticket itself...I see this all the time and simply send summons to defendant...to appear at correct court. Sorry...but even with traffic matters...you are a "defendant". I assist with teaching high school kids about driving [ pro bono work ] and I get huge reaction when I tell them they are "defendants" if cited...I do this to get their attention...serious business...as before becoming lawyer, I was traffic investigator and cop...and have worked..many hundreds of fatalities....and I don't want to see anyone else pulled from car and put in body-bag.....Good luck to you and obey speed laws...It's for everyone's benefit...

Users who are viewing this thread