Impressions of the FRPP CAI

cheftjpeck

Established Member
So I bought the FRPP CAI and Pro cal tune. Bought from a member on the shelby site for $300. Then paid $150 to Ford Racing to recalibrate the tuner to my PCM. Installed it today. Install was pretty easy and straightforward. Install took about 30 minutes. Then reflashed the PCM with the Ford Tune Pro Cal tuner. Man that tuner is slow as sheeyat. took about 10 minutes to flash the car...man my SCT was like 2-3 min tops...anyway..started it up and right away can hear and feel the difference in the accelerator responsiveness. I bought this, more for looks than performance..I like the look allot better..I will take pics later if some have not seen it on a gt500 before...very clean factory look to it. Took for a test burn out of the driveway and after the aforementioned improvements in accel, I noticed the supercharger whine is even more prominent and aggressive sounding. I have the FRPP Stinger exhaust and at points the whine drown even them out. Performance seat of the pants feel....definitely can feel the increased torque....and it is all around even more peppier....overall, due to the look of it,,,the whine of the SC alone...I love this mod....add to it the performance aspect and I truly am glad I did it...plus cant beat the price...$450...now the cheapest I have seen it was $680 delivered from Tousley ford. So I am very happy with the savings as well....is it the best CAI...IMO, yes from the look aspect...and the performance point as we all know is in the tune so the Pro Cal tune by most standards is weak, but it can be tuned as easily as any other CAI with similar results. SO I can easily get a custom tune etc...but at this point...Dont think I will...I was never looking for the 600hp beast...I am VERY happy with my 540-550 ish bhp...

xonecrazyx

Established Member
installed that tuner and and upgrade blowe in 2008 gt500 was nice quick and neat . car i sgoing to be dynoed shortly . on looks i like the frpp best . but i belive thier tune leaves some on table . as they have to make it extremely safe so car is not damaged

ingram4868

Established Member
I agree the FRPP tune could be dialed higher but it is still a tire shredding experience.

mullens

Established Member
About 40 compared with SCT which will give you 60-80. The pro cal is tuned for the masses and warranty....hence pretty mild.

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Does the FRPP provide the necessary increased "grin factor" (blower whine)?? For some of us I think that is almost as important as the HP gain.

6-Speed

Established Member
Does the FRPP provide the necessary increased "grin factor" (blower whine)?? For some of us I think that is almost as important as the HP gain.
The FRPP CAI kit does increase the throttle response and the SC whine is more pronounced when you stomp on it. So yes, the grin-factor is increased! :rolling:

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member

Thats why I dont want a real loud exhaust so I can hear the whine.:rolling:

You will get louder blower whine with any CAI cause you have the open filter to hear the SC through instead of the sound trapped in the factory air box.

The FRPP CAI does look very nice installed.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread