Impressions after '03+ Cobra aluminum flywheel/clutch install

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Installed the whole shabang on Saturday. First thing was just the weight difference when installing the two different flywheels. The aluminum is at least half the weight I would guess. Pedal feel seems very light now and engagement is very crisp but not grabby. On hard shifts there is very little slippage as with the '96 - '98 clutchs I have used, it really clamps.

Now the really good stuff. Before, I could pretty much mash the gas at around 2500 rpms in first and it would hook and chirp second. Well now it completely blows the tires off when the secondaries open and will continue spinning halfway through second with a powershift. Can also easily chirp third as well. While on the insterstate the acceleration difference is very noticable. It pulls hard all the way to redline if you want to go that high, unlike how it used to start running out of steam as the revs approached redline. Taking off requires a little more attention to gas and clutch control but nothing that much different. Where as you could take it to 1100 or so rpms and let it slip and drop to around 800 rpms and go without further gas you have to keep it close to 1000 the whole time to get off the line clean.

In summary, very worthwhile mod especially for an NA motor. This has been my only mod as of yet and it feels like I installed quite a few power mods.

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
does a flywheel really make much of a pedal feel difference? are you using the same pressure plate? i'm yanking the tranny out today or tomorrow to inspect my clutch (again) and i'm wondering if a alum flywheel is worth it a) the wait for me to get the money and 2) worth the money...

there is a lot i could do to the car fro 350$

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Doug said:
does a flywheel really make much of a pedal feel difference? are you using the same pressure plate? i'm yanking the tranny out today or tomorrow to inspect my clutch (again) and i'm wondering if a alum flywheel is worth it a) the wait for me to get the money and 2) worth the money...

there is a lot i could do to the car fro 350$

I'm using an '03 pressure plate as well. The pedal feel is from a combination of the pressure plate and how liberally I lubed the T/O bearing and input shaft I'm sure. It feels very similar to my wife's WS6 clutch which is hydraulically assisted. I think it's worth it personally being that most won't change their clutch very often(40k - 50k miles) so the cost isn't really a factor.

ImYourRoleModel

Established Member
Just look around you can find a used 03 cobra flywheel fairly cheap.. I got one from "sanchez" for 50 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread