iMac and VM gurus, I have some questions

KCRN12

Established Member
Hey guys, I've spent the last couple days researching online and I can't find any current info on this (2007 was the most recent I could find). Here's the deal... I ordered a new 21.5" iMac a week ago (anxiously awaiting its arrival). For some of the programs and things I use for school, and for my SCT software, I'll need to have windows on it as well. I ordered VMware fusion 5 and windows 7. I know that running windows on a Mac is exactly the same as running it on a PC as far as vulnerability of the windows OS to viruses is concerned. So what I'd like to do is install VMware and windows 7 on an external HDD and run it completely isolated from the Mac's internal HDD. That way if something catastrophic happens and that HDD becomes corrupt it's not that big of a deal. Is this possible? If it is, would it be infuriatingly slow trying to run it from a USB drive? (I don't think VMware supports FireWire). Any input is greatly appreciated.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I'm not a computer wiz, but I did almost this exact same thing, except I had a 2nd internal drive instead of going through a USB external drive. Your concern of speed through USB could be an issue, but that's not something I'd be able to break down. But I did run OSX on one drive of my Mac and Windows on my second drive.

KCRN12

Established Member
I'm not a computer wiz, but I did almost this exact same thing, except I had a 2nd internal drive instead of going through a USB external drive. Your concern of speed through USB could be an issue, but that's not something I'd be able to break down. But I did run OSX on one drive of my Mac and Windows on my second drive.

But you were still running it on an internal drive. I know years ago VMware wasn't capable of running on an external HDD. Then VMware ace came out that allowed you to store the virtual machine on an external. But I can't find anything on whether or not VMware fusion 5 will allow this. I just really don't like the idea of having a system as vulnerable as windows, being stored and running from the same HDD that all my (more secure) Mac stuff is on. I know there aren't many viruses out there that can jump from windows to Mac and actually hurt the Mac OS. But they can still hang out there, and after the outbreak of flashback last year, I feel like it won't be long before hackers start diligently working on viruses to just that.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
No need to run it on a separate drive. The VM will create it's own "hard drive" that will simply be a .vmdk file on your Mac. There is no crossover between the Mac and the VM's "hard drive." The Windows VM can't see the Mac, and the Mac can't see the Windows VM. There is no way that a virus could "jump" across.

Also, your performance will suffer trying to run it on an external drive. I wouldn't recommend it. VM's are I/O intensive, and a USB connection is far slower than a SCSI or SAS connection.

Last edited:

KCRN12

Established Member
Ok, a couple more questions, then. What's the best way to protect the new windows system once I install it? Obviously I won't use IE (with the exception of 2 site for school that require it :-/) but other than that what programs or other things would you recommend for keeping it clean?

Also, is bootcamp just as safe as VMware, or is it more vulnerable? I only ask because SCT tech support told me they don't have any drivers for the Mac OS and that some customers have had issues with Trying to use SCT software in a VM, whereas bootcamp works much better for that. If they're about the same I may consider running bootcamp, but if that's the only program that I may have issues with, it's not worth risking everything else for one program.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
It will be the same, security-wise. Boot camp is nice so that you don't have to deal with any of the typical VM drawbacks (Pushing peripheral devices to it, occasional laggyness, etc.). I use it on my MacBook Air to run Windows.

As far as securing the Windows side - make sure Windows Updates are always current, leave Windows Firewall on, keep Windows Defender up to date, and pop an antivirus on it (Keep it up to date as well). I don't even have an antivirus on my laptop and I haven't had a virus on it since I installed Windows a year and a half ago.

KCRN12

Established Member
Cool. Good to know. Thanks! Now I just gotta wait for the computer to actually ship. When I was in the store, they only had one left. No other computers, at all. Period. So I was gonna go ahead and pick it up till the guy told me that in the store, to get the student discount you have to actually have your ID with you (mine was at home). So I rush home, grab my ID, head back up there and ask if it's still there and he goes back to look. While he's back there looking, another associate brings the computer out and gives it to another customer. So I had to order it online, where all you have to do is put in your school name and check an agreement box that states "yes I actually am a student here." But now I gotta wait for it. :-/

99GreenCobra

Established Member
I installed parrells and windows 7 on my iMac and my wife's mac book air. Runs like a dream. I havent installed any antivirus software thou. No problems so far.

hunterp

Established Member
Windows 7 and 8 aren't nearly as vulnerable to exploits as older versions. Use Windows Defender or another decent anti-virus/firewall (good advice no matter what platform you're running on) and you're good to go. On the off chance that you do get something on it, it's pretty hard to break out of the VM sandbox. I've been running VM's for years on my internal drives with no issues. Get a problem you can't resolve? Erase the VM image and start over.

KCRN12

Established Member
I installed parrells and windows 7 on my iMac and my wife's mac book air. Runs like a dream. I havent installed any antivirus software thou. No problems so far.

I thought about going with parallels, but decided on VMware because I'm already familiar with it (my dad has it on his MBP) and it was $30 less than parallels. Also I had heard (not sure if its true or not) that since parallels runs windows at the same time and has it integrated in with OS X that it put the OS X side at higher risk. Whether that's true or not, I have no clue. But even if not, the extra $30 was enough to make me go with VMware.

Windows 7 and 8 aren't nearly as vulnerable to exploits as older versions. Use Windows Defender or another decent anti-virus/firewall (good advice no matter what platform you're running on) and you're good to go. On the off chance that you do get something on it, it's pretty hard to break out of the VM sandbox. I've been running VM's for years on my internal drives with no issues. Get a problem you can't resolve? Erase the VM image and start over.

Yea, I've heard the newer ones aren't as vulnerable, so hopefully with limited and careful browsing on the windows side I'll be ok. I know I can take snapshots of the vm. Does that do the same thing as backing it up? And if so, does it then store said backup on the Mac side of the HDD so I have it if I need to wipe it and start over? Or do I still have to do a standard backup to an external HDD?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. I know enough about computers to be able to do most of the things I want to with them, but when it comes to actually knowing about programming or other more in depth stuff like this I'm a bit of a noob.

hunterp

Established Member
I thought about going with parallels, but decided on VMware because I'm already familiar with it (my dad has it on his MBP) and it was $30 less than parallels. Also I had heard (not sure if its true or not) that since parallels runs windows at the same time and has it integrated in with OS X that it put the OS X side at higher risk. Whether that's true or not, I have no clue. But even if not, the extra $30 was enough to make me go with VMware.

Yea, I've heard the newer ones aren't as vulnerable, so hopefully with limited and careful browsing on the windows side I'll be ok. I know I can take snapshots of the vm. Does that do the same thing as backing it up? And if so, does it then store said backup on the Mac side of the HDD so I have it if I need to wipe it and start over? Or do I still have to do a standard backup to an external HDD?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. I know enough about computers to be able to do most of the things I want to with them, but when it comes to actually knowing about programming or other more in depth stuff like this I'm a bit of a noob.

A snapshot isn't the same thing as a full image backup. A snapshot only saves changes made since the last snapshot. If you lose your base image, the snapshot is useless. The VM is just a file that sits on your hard drive, albeit a very large one. You can copy it anywhere you want. Stick a copy on a back up drive so you don't have to start over if something goes wrong.

KCRN12

Established Member
A snapshot isn't the same thing as a full image backup. A snapshot only saves changes made since the last snapshot. If you lose your base image, the snapshot is useless. The VM is just a file that sits on your hard drive, albeit a very large one. You can copy it anywhere you want. Stick a copy on a back up drive so you don't have to start over if something goes wrong.

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread