i'm stupid wrong way on a one way st.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
so i was driving with some people to go purchase some beer at a liquor store/strip club in NJ. and i turned onto a street which led to the back parking lot. we go in purchase our beer, and leave. first time i've ever been to this place.

well apparently unknown to me the way we came in is a one way street. and it is a one way street coming in, not one way going out.

so i pull out and park in the wrong direction because one of the persons i was with said they just wanted to go into the strip club part to just look for a bit and leave (because they had never been to a strip club). so i pull out and park on the one way street in the wrong direction (unknown to me) to go inside, and a man and woman walking by tell me "its a one way street" and so i decide to move my vehicle. I continue goiing the same direction i didnt turn around and go back down the "correct" way and i pull out onto the main street and park, and as i walk to the door of the establishment i notice a policeman pull into a parking lot across the street.

sure enough as soon as we leave 2 minutes later i start driving away and he follows me and pulls me over for driving the wrong way down a one way street.

Now my question is if i go back to the scene and take pictures and have a somewhat intelligent statement to make is it possible i may get away with just a fine and no points? i only drove about 25 or so feet down the street the wrong way, so i dont even know if there was a sign that said one way, could i possibly take pictures to show there was no "one way" sign within viewing distance of how far i drove?

I was ticketed under statute#: 39:4–85.1 Wrong way on a one-way street

yes it was a dumb mistake, but i am not familiar with the area i was driving in, and had a person giving me directions because of my unfamiliarity of the area.

I'm in New jersey and this occured in Riverside township in burlington county, I've only been pulled over once before for speeding which was knocked down to a unsafe operation of a motor vehicle which was over 2 years ago. i really dont need the points, it was dumb and honestly i'm pulling the "i didnt know" card

any information/help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It is strict liability, to be guilty all you had to do is violate what the statute says and you did. Not only that, you were on notice when the two people told you it was a "one way" street and yet continued in the wrong direction. I am willing to bet there are signs somewhere on the street.

Of course you can take it to court and see what the judge says. But, if the judge asks if at any point before the officer pulled you over, did you know it was a one way, you will either have to lie or admit what the "two people" told you.

Up until the notice from the two people, you might have had a chance, but once you knew and continued in the wrong direction, you acted consciously and in violation of the law.

TurdFerguson said:
and a man and woman walking by tell me "its a one way street" and so i decide to move my vehicle. I continue goiing the same direction i didnt turn around and go back down the "correct" way and i pull out onto the main street and park.
good luck.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
yea it was a really dumb idea on my part to not bother turning around and parking the proper way on the street after being told it was one way.

and obviously you cannot tell me how every judge and court will act but if i go and plead not guilty do you think i can get it knocked down to no points? In your proffessional opinion do you think its worth going to court to try to get it knocked down to no points? or just pay it and move on?

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
yea it was a really dumb idea on my part to not bother turning around and parking the proper way on the street after being told it was one way.

and obviously you cannot tell me how every judge and court will act but if i go and plead not guilty do you think i can get it knocked down to no points? In your proffessional opinion do you think its worth going to court to try to get it knocked down to no points? or just pay it and move on?

I can tell you my brother used to be a Burlington County Prosecutor. I can tell you that judge's are supposed to follow the law. I can tell you that your offense is a "strict liability" offense and that you need no intent. I can tell you would should happen and I already did.

I suggest you try and contact the local prosecutor from the municipality that issued the ticket and see if you can plead guilty to a nonpoint violation with the same fine.

Good Luck.

LS1 Eddie

Established Member
I suggest you try and contact the local prosecutor from the municipality that issued the ticket and see if you can plead guilty to a nonpoint violation with the same fine.

Good Luck.

Great advice. It's like a mini plea bargin. Often times a district magistrate will allow for it as long as you don't have an extensive driving record.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
oh so i can just ask for the number to speak with him/her?

that i didnt know i thought maybe i'd have to call someone else completely to get that information.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
oh so i can just ask for the number to speak with him/her?

that i didnt know i thought maybe i'd have to call someone else completely to get that information.

you may or may not get their number but they should be able to tell you who it is ....

Users who are viewing this thread