I'm new to Ohio - Question?

CincyFordman

Established Member
I am new to Ohio. Moved here about 1 1/2 ago from California, San Francisco to be exact. Out west speeding is a daily occurance for everybody. Unless you are tailgating and changing lanes way too often the highway patrol really dont bother you. Here in Cincinnati that must be different cuz everyone starts slamming there brakes at the hint of a police car. This seems more dangerous than just speeding by. Also in California only the highway patrol or Sheriff can pull you over on the highway not city cops unless its a chase that started in the streets, how does that work here in Ohio. I noticed city cops on the highways out here as well. I guess my question is what are the jurisdiction laws here in Ohio.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
In Ohio it's common for local police to occasionally patrol stretches of interstate that pass through their city limits.

Also, some townships don't have their own police force. They contract with the county sheriff's office to patrol. And if you happen to speed through a stretch of interstate that passes through one of these townships, the sheriff's officers will be happy to stop you for an autograph.

The Ohio State Patrol isn't that bad...unless the vehicle you're driving has 18 wheels under it. :uh oh:

As far as stomping on the brakes when people see an officer...I don't know what to tell you. That seems to be a requirement in this state...even if you're barely going 55. :dw:

Welcome to the land of bad roads and split speed limits (55 for trucks, 65 for everyone else). That makes for some interesting traffic flow.

You think it's bad now...just wait until we get 2 inches of snow... :lol1:

METHICAL

Established Member
What part of Cincinnati are you in? I spent my first 27 years there, have only been in AZ for 3. There isn't a highway there that you don't have to be careful of police..75, 71, 275..you'll see either highway patrol, Cincinnati police, or the local municipality. Out here, you can run very fast on the major interstates when out of the big cities...I've been PASSED by a DPS officer at 115 mph on Interstate 17, he got in front of me and tapped his brakes to let me know to slow down. Ohio's just too densly populated and has too much traffic for that in the majority of the state. Even desolate stretches of 71 and 75 between the cities aren't conductive to cruising above 80 mph.

Last edited:

CincyFordman

Established Member
METHICAL said:
What part of Cincinnati are you in? I spent my first 27 years there, have only been in AZ for 3. There isn't a highway there that you don't have to be careful of police..75, 71, 275..you'll see either highway patrol, Cincinnati police, or the local municipality. Out here, you can run very fast on the major interstates when out of the big cities...I've been PASSED by a DPS officer at 115 mph on Interstate 17, he got in front of me and tapped his brakes to let me know to slow down. Ohio's just too densly populated and has too much traffic for that in the majority of the state. Even desolate stretches of 71 and 75 between the cities aren't conductive to cruising above 80 mph.

I actually live in Liberty Township, just north of WEst Chester. I say Cincinnati since its a city most know about. I have crossed the 100mph mark several times but not for any length of time. Yeah the out of the city limits seems to be fairly safe but there are so many doing the speed limit or just under in the fast lane :fm: . In Cali on interstate 5 between LA and SF I and about 5 other vehicles cruised on 110mph for at least 15 minutes before anyone even thought about slowing down. I guess I just need a good radar and kepp my eyes open out here.
:thumbsup:

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
CincyFordman said:
I actually live in Liberty Township, just north of WEst Chester. I say Cincinnati since its a city most know about. I have crossed the 100mph mark several times but not for any length of time. Yeah the out of the city limits seems to be fairly safe but there are so many doing the speed limit or just under in the fast lane :fm: . In Cali on interstate 5 between LA and SF I and about 5 other vehicles cruised on 110mph for at least 15 minutes before anyone even thought about slowing down. I guess I just need a good radar and kepp my eyes open out here.
:thumbsup:
In Columbus, the PD likes to hang on the transition from I 670 to I 270 near the airport and Lidar people. And Hilliard PD are on I 270 all the time

I came out here on a temp assignment to open a new plant for the company, and I've been here 2 years. Bad roads, Bad drivers. I heard a stat that something like 10% of Ohio drivers has a DUI conviction

frog

Coupes without wings
Established Member
You don't live too far from me. Im about an hour down I-71 from you towards Louisville. And yes that is typically how it goes.........they see a cop and EVERYONE slams the brakes..............I always hear alot of stories of how bad cops in Ohio are...........Ive only gotten pulled over once while traveling through.......and I got a warning for it.(which was good because he said he clocked me @92mph.......not sure I was going that fast, but Im sure I was speeding). I do see alot of police presence while driving through but rarely do I see people pulled over.

BK24

Copter Doctor
Established Member
I thought you Ohio people sped in Ohio. God knows when you hit Kentucky you slow down and stay in the fast lane. ;)

bchisom99

Established Member
BK24 said:
I thought you Ohio people sped in Ohio. God knows when you hit Kentucky you slow down and stay in the fast lane. ;)

HAHAHA That is about 100% accurate, in Ohio it is state law that that when you get in the fast lane, you stay there, no matter what. . .

and people drive like absolute retards in cincy, it never stops amazing me how there can easily be a 15mph difference in speed from the fast lane to the middle lane, and another 10mph difference into the slow lane. . .its awesome...not. . .

Pudmunkies

Established Member
Ohio drivers suck, thats why they (including my family who still live there) always get freaked out when people from michigan come down and drive like we do back home....

Users who are viewing this thread