I'm looking to get into a Mercedes. Your knowledge is needed.

mariosvt

Bazinga
Established Member
I am looking to buy a 2003-06 Mercedes as a daily driver.
I only want to get into an AMG.
Problem is that with all these different time of models, I can't really decided what is best.
I want to get into a 4 door. I always have passengers.

I know there are these:

E55 AMG (my favorite body style)
SLK AMG
CLK55 AMG
SS55 AMG
CL55 AMG
SL500 AMG

Might have missed some but what I am really looking for is reliability and comfort along with its luxuriousness. Performance would be a plus.

What I want to know is: Are they any problems with certain types of models? Any mechanical or electrical failures? Anything I need to know or look for when looking for one?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks.

auditory

I am looking to buy a 2003-06 Mercedes as a daily driver.
I only want to get into an AMG.
Problem is that with all these different time of models, I can't really decided what is best.
I want to get into a 4 door. I always have passengers.

I know there are these:

E55 AMG (my favorite body style)
SLK AMG
CLK55 AMG
SS55 AMG
CL55 AMG
SL500 AMG

Might have missed some but what I am really looking for is reliability and comfort along with its luxuriousness. Performance would be a plus.

What I want to know is: Are they any problems with certain types of models? Any mechanical or electrical failures? Anything I need to know or look for when looking for one?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks.
I have a 1999 C43 AMG with 163k running strong. No issues to date with it. Just have been keeping up with the usual maintenance on it.

If you're looking for a 4 door then you can cross out the SL, SLK, CL, and CLK series. All of which are two door coupes. E55 is probably going to be your best bang for your buck. You can pick up a 03 E55 AMG for pretty cheap now and they run strong. Just remember if they do break, they are expensive to repair.

Mugzy

Connoisseur Extraordinair
Established Member
Nothing good can come from having a 10 year old Mercedes as a daily driver.

If you have a second car and lots of expendable cash for when the merc is in the shop then go for it.

EDIT: Even if nothing breaks they're very expensive cars to maintain.

Last edited:

spyderman

Established Member
I had an E63 once upon a time. Oil changes were about $140 due to the 9 quarts of synthetic needed. Brake job was about $3k.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
^ No but seriously, a 300D is a boss, they get 30+ mpg and never break. Great cars. AMG's are big money rolls to fix, but if you always have passengers why even consider the baby and homo-inspired SLK? even tho they roll out for the big engine in a little car, and a SL? but i would go S55 Amg, or E55, even a C63 Amg.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Rubenk, are you still wasted from the party last night? :lol1:

truefiveo

Established Member
2005 E55 AMG owner chiming in....

DO NOT BUY A USED MB VEHICLE WITHOUT A CHRYSLER AFTERMARKET WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
2005 E55 AMG owner chiming in....

DO NOT BUY A USED MB VEHICLE WITHOUT A CHRYSLER AFTERMARKET WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR any luxury car for that matter... Sure, you can get them cheap, but you have to remember this was a $60-80,000 dollar car new, so it has $80,000 car parts to replace.. A warranty is a MUST....if you don't get one, your bank account will seriously regret it, and that is a guarantee

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
girl at work has an 06, she said it was about $700 for the tuneup package at MCB dealership......yeah **** that. there's a reason theyre so expensive, if not errbody and they momma would have one. OP, if you have the cash, do it, if you're hesitant at all say no. gets worse as the parts break and routine stuff needs to be done....like brakes.

truefiveo

Established Member
OR any luxury car for that matter... Sure, you can get them cheap, but you have to remember this was a $60-80,000 dollar car new, so it has $80,000 car parts to replace.. A warranty is a MUST....if you don't get one, your bank account will seriously regret it, and that is a guarantee

My E55 at 42k miles just had the cabin gas smell problem luckily its a recall issue.

The replacement DS fuel sending unit with labor is $900.

Last edited:

terminated99

Established Member
Ive had my e55 for almost a year
Gas milage is 14mpg on average
Performance is awsome i enjoy this more thanany other car ive had.
With that said i got it with 77k miles on her and here is a list of what ive had to fix
Wich are all common failures for these cars
Crank position sensor
Complete supercharger pulley assembly
Secondary air pump
Heater control valve
Thats a total of about 4k
Luckily i got an extended warrenty from carmax and my out ofpocket
Has been 750
But also all should be good for a long time now and you can get things fixed alot cheaper
Just dont go to a mb dealer and find your parts online plus alot of things you can do yourself.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Glad I see I'm not the only one:eek:
That's not soo bad. My Cobra gives me that on street with 90% being babied. For being a heavy car, bigger engine and having all that fancy crap, its actually pretty good.

O.P buying a luxury car for DDis a big NO-NO ESPECIALLY an AMG car. Leave those cars for the weekend.

Last edited:

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
After only owning domestic cars my entire life, I bought an 01 Audi S4. I owned it for 10 months. I loved that thing. But my first trip to the shop had my jaw on the floor. So I spent $4k+ for preventative maintenance and still had issues. Plus, I couldn't shake the fear of the turbos going out on me. So I sold it and got back into a Cobra. The only way I would ever own a German car outside of a warranty is if I end up becoming a mechanic at the brand's dealership, can do all the work myself AND get a discount on parts. Other than that, it's the Blue Oval for me.

Users who are viewing this thread