I'm In A Pickle - Rental Property Related

TorchMach

Established Member
There has been a lot of good opinions on here, I didn't think of. I now have a better understanding of what my best route is.

Here's my plan:" I am going to call her a few days before rent is due and ask to meet in person at the property. Then I will proceed to tell her I learned about what happen to her husband from Tenant B, and give her my condolences. As much as it aches me to say this, I must ask how you plan to proceed to pay the rent. (response may very, from family support or government programs, she might already have the rent) - well I am being optimistic in hoping that's what she says. If being a Realtor for a few years has taught me anything is this, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

So if she says, I don't have a plan yet and don't have the money for this month. I will say ok, I understand, I am going to give you this month free, we'll talk again in March about you're rent, but right now I need you to understand this is my business, and I need to get the eviction process going in case things don't pan out how we hope they do, believe I hope they work out but we have to prepare our selves. You will be receiving a 3 day notice on you're door by my lawyer, it takes 3 months time to process a complete eviction, if you pay at the beginning of April I will cancel the eviction. For me giving you this free month, I am getting in trade the eviction started in case things do in fact go south, now if you take advantage of the entire 3 months, I will go after you for those 2 months you decide to take from me and put the eviction on you're credit for every other landlord to see. I wish I didn't have to do this but I can't afford to pay for you to live here and something must be done."

I think that is the best I can do, I am human but business is business. I have to keep in mind, this is just how I feel, we don't know how anyone else feel's if that happened to me.

Thanks again guys, any other good opinions are welcomed.

Last edited:

TorchMach

Established Member
No offense, but big mistake.

Also its very hard to evict a tenant with kids.

None taken, we all have different opinions and views on life/business. Yes, I am aware of the process, these are good people with a unfortunate situation however I want it cost me as little as possible, and these steps will do just that. If she doesn't pay it's going to take me 90 days anyways, and if she does pay (in full, left that out of my other post) then we go back to regular business.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
There has been a lot of good opinions on here, I didn't think of. I now have a better understanding of what my best route is.

Here's my plan:" I am going to call her a few days before rent is due and ask to meet in person at the property. Then I will proceed to tell her I learned about what happen to her husband from Tenant B, and give her my condolences. As much as it aches me to say this, I must ask how you plan to proceed to pay the rent. (response may very, from family support or government programs, she might already have the rent) - well I am being optimistic in hoping that's what she says. If being a Realtor for a few years has taught me anything is this, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

So if she says, I don't have a plan yet and don't have the money for this month. I will say ok, I understand, I am going to give you this month free, we'll talk again in March about you're rent, but right now I need you to understand this is my business, and I need to get the eviction process going in case things don't pan out how we hope they do, believe I hope they work out but we have to prepare our selves. You will be receiving a 3 day notice on you're door by my lawyer, it takes 3 months time to process a complete eviction, if you pay at the beginning of April I will cancel the eviction. For me giving you this free month, I am getting in trade the eviction started in case things do in fact go south, now if you take advantage of the entire 3 months, I will go after you for those 2 months you decide to take from me and put the eviction on you're credit for every other landlord to see. I wish I didn't have to do this but I can't afford to pay for you to live here and something must be done."

I think that is the best I can do, I am human but business is business. I have to keep in mind, this is just how I feel, we don't know how anyone else feel's if that happened to me.

Technically you cant actually ask her how she plans to pay rent when she has not missed a payment at this point. You are under the assumption that she is not able to pay rent. You actually should not even be getting into her personal business unless it somehow effects the contract that is set in place. Just remember this is a business deal and you are only able to ask for certain things. Its really not your business how she is gonna to pay you unless it involves illegal activity from your property. I would not advise that you contact her about her situation. Its up to the her to contact you to let you know. Unless she is not on the contract you have for rent.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Technically you cant actually ask her how she plans to pay rent when she has not missed a payment at this point. You are under the assumption that she is not able to pay rent. You actually should not even be getting into her personal business unless it somehow effects the contract that is set in place. Just remember this is a business deal and you are only able to ask for certain things. Its really not your business how she is gonna to pay you unless it involves illegal activity from your property. I would not advise that you contact her about her situation. Its up to the her to contact you to let you know. Unless she is not on the contract you have for rent.

OhIIICobra

Established Member

If my spouse died and a landlord approached me in the manner you suggest before my rent was due and proceeded to get involved in my plans and personal affairs it would get ugly really quick. Your free month comes with the strings attached of starting eviction proceedings just in case? WTF? Yeah I see this turning out well for everyone involved. You should just stay out of her business and start the eviction process in accordance with her contract if / when that time comes...period. You are setting yourself up for all kinds of grief by jumping to conclusions and it sounds like your free gesture is now a huge negative.

Troponin

Established Member
I have to admit, as a landlord myself as well, and having friends that are as well and some of the crazy issues they have dealt with when they thought they were doing the right thing, I have come to the conclusion that you keep communication to a minimum. I would personally not contact her on her personal affairs. If there is a late payment or a missed payment, then call her. Otherwise, it's probably best to let her sort things out herself.

As already stated, check local and state laws on this topic.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
If my spouse died and a landlord approached me in the manner you suggest before my rent was due and proceeded to get involved in my plans and personal affairs it would get ugly really quick. Your free month comes with the strings attached of starting eviction proceedings just in case? WTF? Yeah I see this turning out well for everyone involved. You should just stay out of her business and start the eviction process in accordance with her contract if / when that time comes...period. You are setting yourself up for all kinds of grief by jumping to conclusions and it sounds like your free gesture is now a huge negative.

Not a landlord, but I agree with this. If you end up having to evict her, she's getting some rent free time until you collect (if you ever do). If she pays, then she pays. Apply the "free month" to their deposit if you're in the giving mood. If they end up deserving some of it back, then you can give them the extra once everything is paid for.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
No input here, but, curiosity has my attention.

So, in a court of law, why is it so hard to evict someone? Here is how I am looking at it.

The tenants signed an agreement/lease which is a legal binding document. They are expected to pay every month or face eviction. It is up to the Landlord to give sufficient time to the tenant if they are to be evicted. I've seen it a few times on SVTP that it takes months and months to evict someone because of their circumstances. Sounds like a one-way street. Anyone shed light on to why that system is so screwed up?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member

So, in a court of law, why is it so hard to evict someone? Here is how I am looking at it.

The tenants signed an agreement/lease which is a legal binding document. They are expected to pay every month or face eviction. It is up to the Landlord to give sufficient time to the tenant if they are to be evicted. I've seen it a few times on SVTP that it takes months and months to evict someone because of their circumstances. Sounds like a one-way street. Anyone shed light on to why that system is so screwed up?

Because the people who can't take care of themselves always cry foul. Multiple get together and before you know it we have laws that protect the leaches and screw the responsible people. What never cease to amaze me if the "poor victims" are damn near lawyers when it comes to knowing all the laws protecting them.

TorchMach

Established Member
I have to admit, as a landlord myself as well, and having friends that are as well and some of the crazy issues they have dealt with when they thought they were doing the right thing, I have come to the conclusion that you keep communication to a minimum. I would personally not contact her on her personal affairs. If there is a late payment or a missed payment, then call her. Otherwise, it's probably best to let her sort things out herself.

As already stated, check local and state laws on this topic.

You guys are right, I won't involve myself in they're personal business. I see where it can get ugly if I assume she can't pay the rent already, and hasn't actually been late. I will keep my distance and just keep it business as always.

Thanks for the info guys.

TorchMach

Established Member

It takes 1 month to process, another for a court date and the judge usually gives them a 30 day notice to pay or quit. It can cost a landlord about $5k.

MG0h3

Established Member
You guys are right, I won't involve myself in they're personal business. I see where it can get ugly if I assume she can't pay the rent already, and hasn't actually been late. I will keep my distance and just keep it business as always.

Thanks for the info guys.

Good lord thank you. Your idea was terrible.

Stay out of their business until they are late. Hopefully she calls, and you can offer condolences right before the "but, how do you plan to pay the rent going forward" statement.

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with the guy that informed you of the death. But at the most, I would consider contacting him once she is like a week or more late.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Also, it wasn't quite clear whether you are a new landlord or if just this property is new to you, but you should consider getting an attorney who specializes in real estate and rental law, to keep in your back pocket so to speak. You know, just in case.

TorchMach

Established Member
Good lord thank you. Your idea was terrible.

Stay out of their business until they are late. Hopefully she calls, and you can offer condolences right before the "but, how do you plan to pay the rent going forward" statement.

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with the guy that informed you of the death. But at the most, I would consider contacting him once she is like a week or more late.

LOL, that gave me a good laugh, I admit it wasn't a very good plan.lol

Also, it wasn't quite clear whether you are a new landlord or if just this property is new to you, but you should consider getting an attorney who specializes in real estate and rental law, to keep in your back pocket so to speak. You know, just in case.

Yes, I am new to being a landlord, my family has some property as well, but none of them have faced something like this, and it's just my luck I face it 4 months in.lol

They advised the same thing, don't contact them, keep you're distance and most likely they'll contact you. If it end's up being late, then reach out.

Thanks fellas, SVTP delivered on this one.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have to say .. you really should get a property manager. doesn't have to be a big corporate giant. look up property managers in your area and then look at their ratings by tenants and owners alike, interview a few of them before making up your mind. believe me when I say it will be the best 8-10% of the rent you will EVER spend. Ask me how I know

Yes, I am new to being a landlord, my family has some property as well, but none of them have faced something like this, and it's just my luck I face it 4 months in.lol

They advised the same thing, don't contact them, keep you're distance and most likely they'll contact you. If it end's up being late, then reach out.

Thanks fellas, SVTP delivered on this one.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I have to say .. you really should get a property manager. doesn't have to be a big corporate giant. look up property managers in your area and then look at their ratings by tenants and owners alike, interview a few of them before making up your mind. believe me when I say it will be the best 8-10% of the rent you will EVER spend. Ask me how I know
What is it that a property manager will do for 8-10% of the rent?

I ask this because I deal with property management companies on a daily basis with my HVAC business and it costs much more than 10% on small rental properties.

They do everything from cleaning the common areas, maintenance, repairs, rental, legal etc.

Up here it costs 8% to get a rental agent to find you a tenant with a credit and a rental background check.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Mine is a single family house so the tenant is responsible for cleaning, minor repairs, and general upkeep. The property managers, handles interaction with the tenants, arranges things like major maintenance (i.e. AC cleaning), if something we are responsible for breaks HE interacts with the tenant not me, if there are legal issues like eviction he takes care of all the paperwork and if necessary he has a lawyer on call (but we have to pay the bill). If there are lease negotiations he takes care of them, need new renters he finds them, screens them and credit checks them. tenants need stepped on? he steps.

What is it that a property manager will do for 8-10% of the rent?

I ask this because I deal with property management companies on a daily basis with my HVAC business and it costs much more than 10% on small rental properties.

They do everything from cleaning the common areas, maintenance, repairs, rental, legal etc.

Up here it costs 8% to get a rental agent to find you a tenant with a credit and a rental background check.

Users who are viewing this thread