I'm going clutchless

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
First, I'm sorry I know this is in the wrong section but being that roadside gets a lot more traffic than the proper section and I need some tips rather quickly I will post here. Car is a 05 Mustang GT the slave cylinder took a dump on me so I must drive this thing back home without a clutch. 28 of the miles will be freeway and the other 1 or two will be on the street. Any tips on how to upshift properly? I think I can downshift with no problem as I tried this a few times before just out of curiosity. What do you guys suggest I do when starting from a stop? Thank you, any help will be appreciated. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Krwy

Established Member
Its pretty easy. Just take it easy, on my T5s and 3650, I would shift at 1500ish, just let off the gas, and pull/push the shifter into the next gear. It should slide in, if it grinds, blip the throttle. When you're starting from a stop, shut it off, put it in 1st and start the car.

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member
My best friends 05 gt just had the same thing happen to him. I never rode in the car with it like that but whenever he pulled it into our shop he had to ride the starter to get rolling from a stop.

Are you going to be replacing it yourself?

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
Its pretty easy. Just take it easy, on my T5s and 3650, I would shift at 1500ish, just let off the gas, and pull/push the shifter into the next gear. It should slide in, if it grinds, blip the throttle. When you're starting from a stop, shut it off, put it in 1st and start the car.

Thank you sir. :beer:

Are you going to be replacing it yourself?

I wish I had the tools to do so. My uncle, who's a mechanic, is doing it for me for just the price of the parts. :rockon:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Be gentle and don't force it. Put a little bit of pressure against whatever gear you want to go into, and when you feel it start to give, put more pressure on it until it slips in. You should get the hang of it after the first few.

I had it down so well in my truck (because the linkage would give out and I HAD to learn) that I only used the clutch to get it going.

That reminds me, how are you going to get it moving from a stop?

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member
I wish I had the tools to do so. My uncle, who's a mechanic, is doing it for me for just the price of the parts. :rockon:

That's great of him to do that, it was not something that I enjoyed replacing. the bleeder valve for the slave cylinder sits on the top half of the tranny so you have to reach all the way to the front from the tail shaft. I could barely barely reach the passenger side o2 sensor connection and got lucky at one of my blind attempts to get it to snap together.

Last edited:

TCSoff

I'm watching
Established Member
Made it to my uncles shop and now back home. I found that starting off in 2nd gear was easier than first. For some reason, I suspect noob, I couldn't shift from 1st to 2nd but could shift into any other gear so I just avoided 1st. I'm glad I stayed late at work as the freeways were clear, except for the part I had to pull into the carpool lane to keep from stopping. Thanks once again for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Congrats on saving on a tow bill and not destroying anything in the process. :beer:

grendel

Established Member

this.

unless you are at a stop and going down hill, then just let it start rolling and give a little pressure into first gear. i drove my car around like that for 2 weeks before. not fun to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread