I'm curious, 5 over?

FBMphil

Established Member
I'm curious as to how often LEO's write someone for 1-5 over the limit.

Reason I'm asking is, I usually drive that fast since 1-5 over is "a reasonable and tolerant/prude speed" or something like that according to my driver's education instructor a few years back, whose organization was run by retired cops.

Here's the thing though, I've heard of/know people that have been pulled over and ticketed for as little as 27 in a 25 zone, and I'm wondering just how common that is, and if most police would bother writing someone for say, 45 in a 40, since I'd wager that the majority of traffic on that road goes at least 45 mph.

Feedback would be nice, thanks.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
FBMphil said:
Here's the thing though, I've heard of/know people that have been pulled over and ticketed for as little as 27 in a 25 zone, and I'm wondering just how common that is, and if most police would bother writing someone for say, 45 in a 40, since I'd wager that the majority of traffic on that road goes at least 45 mph.

First of all, any speed over the posted limit is unreasonable. The speed limit is a limit. Getting pulled over for this depends on the officer, the location, and numerous other dynamic causes.

Every officer is different in what they will use their descretion for. Some will stop cars at 2 over, some will stop them at 8 over, I personally won't stop a car for speed alone unless they are 10 or more over.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Take it to court. Five miles an hour could be a miscalibration of the speedometer, miscalibration in the radar, or over inflated tires, causing the speedometer to read low.

Take it to court, chances are the officer won't be there and it will be thrown out.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
Take it to court. Five miles an hour could be a miscalibration of the speedometer, miscalibration in the radar, or over inflated tires, causing the speedometer to read low.

Take it to court, chances are the officer won't be there and it will be thrown out.
Yea, that is what a lot of people think. That the officer will not show up, please don't waste the courts time on this. Be serious about it. Our policy is that we give 5 over before a citation is issued. Now, it can be written for a lower speed if need be. So six over will get you a bad driving award with the Texas DPS.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Iceman II said:
Yea, that is what a lot of people think. That the officer will not show up, please don't waste the courts time on this. Be serious about it. Our policy is that we give 5 over before a citation is issued. Now, it can be written for a lower speed if need be. So six over will get you a bad driving award with the Texas DPS.

I just saw your location of Central TX. Are you by chance with the APD? I live in Austin and just wanted to give you guys a thumbsup!

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
poopnut2 said:

Wrong. The radars calibration is checked with tuning forks before and after stops to ensure they're accuracy. The patrol speed as indicated on the Radar must match the speed on the Speedometer inorder for a moving citation to be vaild taking away the error due to all the things you mentioned.

With technology the way it is, you have to try harder to get a false reading than the correct one.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
FBMphil said:
I'm curious as to how often LEO's write someone for 1-5 over the limit.

Reason I'm asking is, I usually drive that fast since 1-5 over is "a reasonable and tolerant/prude speed" or something like that according to my driver's education instructor a few years back, whose organization was run by retired cops.

The max speed allowed is that which is posted, not a higher speed because you feel it is reasonable and tolerant/prudent!..

The theory of driving at a rate of speed which is reasonable and prudent is based on a few things, first off that there is no posted speed limit and you can identify what the speed limit should be based on the type of road (i.e. residential road 25 mph, non divided highway 4 lanes - 55 mph, etc.)

That theory is not valid when the speed limit is posted or your should have known.

FBMphil

Established Member
05 Roush said:
The adjudicator has ultimate say in what's too fast, regardless of the speed limit.

Good luck!

Heh, I didn't get a ticket, I just wanted to know how common it was for the po's to write tickets for 1-5 over...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
FBMphil said:
Heh, I didn't get a ticket, I just wanted to know how common it was for the po's to write tickets for 1-5 over...

Probably not as common as 6-10 over. It also depends on the location. Some it's 7 over. In Scottsdale, traffic cameras are set to 11+.

Iman01

Established Member
I have been told that most places give the 1-5 mph over the limit due to the fine being so low that it costs the gov't more to issue it than can be recovered by the fine. I've gotten a couple 5mph over tickets through the years. it cost me about $35 to just pay the fines

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Lawfficer said:
Wrong. The radars calibration is checked with tuning forks before and after stops to ensure they're accuracy. The patrol speed as indicated on the Radar must match the speed on the Speedometer inorder for a moving citation to be vaild taking away the error due to all the things you mentioned.

With technology the way it is, you have to try harder to get a false reading than the correct one.

To match which speedometer? How can a match be made between the radar and the drivers speedo? Once again, over-inflation of the tires can also make a difference. A substancial difference on the freeway.

Not bashing, just asking.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
To match which speedometer? How can a match be made between the radar and the drivers speedo? Once again, over-inflation of the tires can also make a difference. A substancial difference on the freeway.

Substantial is 1-2MPH at most.

jean

Established Member
poopnut2 said:

Agreed ,no judge will confirm you a ticket under 8 miles where i leave.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
poopnut2 said:

I thought I explained myself pretty well, but I will try again. On radar units that are capible of motion there are two speeds displayed. There is the "Target" speed and the "Patrol" speed. When we are driving along the following happens prior to you getting stopped:

Officer: (Thinks) "Damn... That car is moving. Looks to be going around 75mph."
Radar: "SQUEEEAAAALLLL!!!!!!!!!"
Officer: (Thinks) "Slow down you idiot and ill let you be."
Radar: "SQUEEEAAAALLLL!!!!!!!!!"
Officer: "Fine... Ill pull you over if you're not going to slow down."
The officer listens to the doppler tone to ensure that it is crisp and clear and appropreiate for the target speed and the target speed is in ball park of the officers estimate. Then the "Patrol" speed is observed and cross referenced to the speed shown on the cars speedometer. If they are the same, you can cite them.

ts2.jpg

And if you would do the math, you would see that you would have to go from a tire the size of a farm tractor to that of a Festiva to make any kind of substantial difference in speed indicated by the speedometer.

Users who are viewing this thread