Im chasing a vibration thats driving me crazy.....

smknvette

Established Member
I'm chasing a vibration. Feels like a wheel or multiple wheels out of balance. You can feel it throughout the whole car. Shakes bad at 55-60 then moves to 65-70.....then mostly goes away and then returns. We've checked the u-joints, motor mounts, tranny mount, irs bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings ect. This is aggravating me pretty bad. Maybe im over looking something.....I swapped back to my factory wheels and it stopped for a few miles.....i mashed it 2nd and it wheel hopped a little and started again....when its shaking i can push the clutch in , take the tranny out of gear and it will still shake until i drop to 45-50mph.....any help????

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I had something similar to this a couple years ago. For me it ended up being broken teeth on the pinion gear in the rearend. Put the car on stands or lift. Take the driveshaft out. Start the car and take it up to the speed the the vibe usually occurs. If the vibe is gone you know it's something from the driveshaft back. Goodluck

smknvette

Established Member
I had something similar to this a couple years ago. For me it ended up being broken teeth on the pinion gear in the rearend. Put the car on stands or lift. Take the driveshaft out. Start the car and take it up to the speed the the vibe usually occurs. If the vibe is gone you know it's something from the driveshaft back. Goodluck

Thanks, I have it on the lift now with the drive shaft out. I'll go out to the garage in a few min and run it up and see what happens.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I have heard the steering rack bushings can cause similiar problems. If its on the lift you can inspect them pretty easily.

smknvette

Established Member
Well I checked the rotors and they are fine. Put the drive shaft back in turned it 180 deg. and went up the road and it still shakes. I could push up on the end of the drive shaft at the u joints maybe a 1/16th of an inch. Had a little squeak also but couldn't tell if it came from that or a bushing. It went away after I pushed 4-5 times. I'll check the steering rack bushings in a few min.

Svtcobra500

Established Member
Check your pinion for play it cuz a vibration and sounds like of you are wheel hopping could have come loose. If it loose just tighten the nut up little bit. Don't get crazy with it just enought that there no play or movement.

smknvette

Established Member
No I have not had it rebalanced yet. Someone said to turn it 180 deg and put it back in and try it so I did. I'll try anything at this point lol.

Where is the pinion nut?

Svtcobra500

Established Member
The drive shaft bolt to it at the rear end. The nut will be inside the pinion flange just pull on it some to see if you can move it any. If so just tighten big nut in the middle until you can't move the pinion flange.

smknvette

Established Member
Thanks I just googled it lol. I checked that nut when I had it out just for something to do lol. It seemed to be tight.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I had this problem and it was actually 2 problems.

first was out of balance driveshaft

second issue was ring and pinion. it really did not whine but that sucker would have a death wobble from 60+ mph and go away around 90-120

bauto

Established Member
vibration

Hi, in an earlier post you said the shaft moved up a 1/16 or so and there was a squeak Im guessing you might have a bad u/joint, take shaft out and make sure the u/joints rotate ok

Users who are viewing this thread