Illegal vehicle lights question

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
Is it Illegal to have lights that look like Police car lights? A guy in my complex has an older f150 with large chrome rims that has turn signals with white flashing lights. These lights when they are on look just like an unmarked police vehicle does, but they are only in the front of his truck, and I have seen him use them to run a stop light (to get home like 14 seconds faster than me waiting for the light to go green). Is it possible he is an LEO in an unmarked vehicle or just some guy with illegal lights? Thank you.

Sublimize23

Established Member
You mean strobes? I'm not a LEO but as far as I know those are only legal for "off road use." I am a firefighter and have a small blue LED light bar in my Jeep, and that had to be registered with the PA state police in order for me to have it.

mkb116

Established Member
I think your talking about the wig wags? The flashing headlights? If so no those are not legal for use on the street. And no, that guy is not a cop.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
haha i'd say if you didn't like the guy much, make a tip to one of the local cops anonymous. He could get somebody killed if he's running lights.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
^ Agreed, sounds like you need to make a phone call. You never know about someone potentionally identifying themselves as an officer. Sometimes its best to nip it in the butt before it gets out of hand!

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
Agreed, Iceman and Cobra. That was my main reason for posting the ? There are a few LEO's in my complex and I am thinking of maybe talking to one of them about it when I see them next time, but I wanted to make sure before I waste their time.

And these are not headlights, they are in the turn signals, but white just like I have seen on unmarked police vehicles. Thanks for the info guys.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I have to have permission and written consent to run my lights in my personal vehicle... if I used them just once to do something like that not only would i lose my lights and get a ticket but I wouldn't have a job.

I would turn him in before someone gets hurt.

txyaloo

Established Member
And these are not headlights, they are in the turn signals, but white just like I have seen on unmarked police vehicles. Thanks for the info guys.

I've started to see a lot of trucks on road construction sites running white wig-wags but most also have a yellow light bar. I haven't seen a police car with straight white wig-wags in a long time. Most are blue/red, and running those is definitely illegal.

Even if the lights are on for a legal purpose (highway construction, etc), his use of them is for an illegal purpose. I'd probably report him.

Users who are viewing this thread