illegal registration

jhager172

Established Member
I got called in for a reported exhibition of speed. they ran my tag and said that it comes back illegal because it belongs on the car i traded for the truck. i have the paperwork showing that it goes to my truck and i didnt everything with the dmv. he told me he would arrest me if he caught me again without getting it fixed. can he arrest me if i have everything showing it as right?

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I got called in for a reported exhibition of speed. they ran my tag and said that it comes back illegal because it belongs on the car i traded for the truck. i have the paperwork showing that it goes to my truck and i didnt everything with the dmv. he told me he would arrest me if he caught me again without getting it fixed. can he arrest me if i have everything showing it as right?

Contact the DMV.

jhager172

Established Member
well the thing is i work nights and i work outa county and they told me i cant even drive it home.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
As pointed out above, you need to contact the DMV. Yes, the officer can arrest you and impound your car. The paperwork you have might help in court but not on the side of the road when the officer's computer shows something different.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
The paperwork you have might help in court but not on the side of the road when the officer's computer shows something different.

Yeah, no kidding! It sounds like this officer would automatically assume that the information retrieved by his computer was correct and the paperwork in the operator's hand was incorrect...

Guilty until proven innocent!

I wonder if there could be a delay in the transfer of information between the DMV branch and the central database. :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Yeah, no kidding! It sounds like this officer would automatically assume that the information retrieved by his computer was correct and the paperwork in the operator's hand was incorrect...

Guilty until proven innocent!

I wonder if there could be a delay in the transfer of information between the DMV branch and the central database. :shrug:

Of course the officer is going to believe what the government database shows over a piece of paper of unknown origin or authencity.

It isnt even close to guilty until proven innocent. It is incumbant on the driver to correct errors, especially those known to him.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Of course the officer is going to believe what the government database shows over a piece of paper of unknown origin or authencity.

It isnt even close to guilty until proven innocent. It is incumbant on the driver to correct errors, especially those known to him.

LOL! I sure hope my registration card couldn't be considered "a piece of paper of unknown origin", since it was issued to me by the Maryland government.

Just because information is retrieved by a computer, it doesn't mean that it's 100% accurate!

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
LOL! I sure hope my registration card couldn't be considered "a piece of paper of unknown origin", since it was issued to me by the Maryland government.

Just because information is retrieved by a computer, it doesn't mean that it's 100% accurate!

It's not difficult at all for an individual to alter vehicle registration/insurance paperwork. It is very difficult for that same individual to alter a DMV database to perpetrate fraud.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

and just because you have a piece of paper saying something different than what the computer says doesn't mean that the paper is 100% accurate either.

People forge car registrations and shit all the time. what saves you is that the paper you have MATCHES what the computer says you have. and when it doesn't the officer writes the ticket.

sounds to me like the op has been driving around for awhile knowing that his shit was not in order and got caught. working nights is no excuse for not getting your shit right.

FordSVTFan

Established Member

Once that piece of paper leaves the hands of the Maryland Govt it can be altered by the holder. It is sad that you cant or wont differentiate the two. But, I wont have this pissing match with you. Believe what you want and do what you want. I am tired of confusing you with actual fact. :rollseyes

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Yes, yes, of course. All LE computers are infallible and all operators are potential forgers...

I get your perspective. :rollseyes

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Yes, yes, of course. All LE computers are infallible and all operators are potential forgers...

you obviously are totally missing the point, since you have the typical "don't confuse me with facts I have already made up my mind" attitude.

Show me ONE place where anyone has said all LE computers are infallible, oh wait, you can't since no one has said it.

and as long as you brought it up .. yes all operators are potential forgers whether you like it or not.

FordSVTFan

Established Member

Wow, great interpretation. :bored:

you obviously are totally missing the point, since you have the typical "don't confuse me with facts I have already made up my mind" attitude.

Exactly.

Show me ONE place where anyone has said all LE computers are infallible, oh wait, you can't since no one has said it.

and as long as you brought it up .. yes all operators are potential forgers whether you like it or not.

Well said.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Please elaborate as to which facts I have "confused" in any of my posts. Yes, I have "made up my mind" that computers are not infallible and that it's possible that the error may not be the OP's fault. You would dispute those facts?

Once again, you are right. Which is why I said it was your "perspective", not "what you said". That opinion was based on the following posts:

The paperwork you have might help in court but not on the side of the road when the officer's computer shows something different.

It's not difficult at all for an individual to alter vehicle registration/insurance paperwork. It is very difficult for that same individual to alter a DMV database to perpetrate fraud.

Perspective seems pretty clear. LEO's are going to believe their computers over the government-issued documents.

Confirmed.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Perspective seems pretty clear. LEO's are going to believe their computers over the government-issued documents.

Confirmed.

Wow, you are dense. LEOs are going to believe the most reliable and accurate thing at the time. On the side of the road the most accurate and reliable is the govt computer and its database. It is not infallible, however, it is direct from the govt database, while the documents in the hand of the driver can be fraudulent or altered since they did not come from the issuing govt entity and into the LEOs hands. Really, this is not a hard concept and it certainly isnt biased as you infer.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member

Confirmed.

Incorrect. Don't quote my post as an "include all" type scenarios.

I have noted discrepancies between the owner's paperwork and what was showing on my screen. In several of those instances, I sided with the vehicle owner and did not issue a citation, instead referring them to DMV to correct the issue.

On other occasions, I believed what my screen indicated over the paperwork and issued a citation.

I've been presented with valid looking insurance cards as well, but something didn't feel right. Called the insurance company to learn the policy had been canceled due to non-payment. The driver got a citation.

I always consider the totality of the circumstances before issuing citations, but please do continue with your anti-LE rhetoric.

jhager172

Established Member
sounds to me like the op has been driving around for awhile knowing that his shit was not in order and got caught. working nights is no excuse for not getting your shit rightQUOTE]

well then you would be wrong because i took my tag to the DMV and did everything right so why would i ever imagine that it wasnt put through?

Users who are viewing this thread