Illegal possession of ammunition??

olefafl

Established Member
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- A man will remain locked up until his trial on charges that he stockpiled nearly 80,000 rounds of ammunition in his home in the belief the world was on the brink of violent economic collapse.

U.S. Magistrate Christopher A. Nuechterlein ruled Tuesday that Kevin Rieder, 38, poses a danger to the community and does not seem to be a good candidate for release based on his record of not complying with prior court orders.
Rieder faces a federal charge of illegal possession of ammunition in violation of an earlier restraining order taken out by an ex-girlfriend. Authorities seized 79,010 rounds of ammunition during a raid last week that followed a six-month investigation, Assistant U.S. Attorney Donald Schmid said.
Schmid argued for Rieder's detention without bond, saying Rieder had threatened people this summer and pointing out that the South Bend man was committed to a mental hospital for about two weeks last spring.
Receipts indicated Rieder had bought large amounts of 9 mm, .22-caliber, .38-caliber, 12-gauge and 20-gauge ammunition, according to court documents.
Defense attorney Jeffrey Kimmell urged the judge to release Rieder so he could be readmitted to Madison Center for psychological care.
Nuechterlein said he would not do that because the center does not have a contract with the federal government, so Rieder would have to check in voluntarily, and his record of compliance is not good.
During a search of Rieder's home in April, ATF agents noticed large amounts of ammunition, radios, car parts, batteries, plastic sheeting, flashlights, water and other items. They also found several 25-gallon drums filled with gasoline in his garage. A private contractor was draining the barrels under a court order Wednesday.
The warrant authorized the removal of "all materials which are or may be flammable, explosive, hazardous or dangerous to persons or property."
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007709060551

"Rieder faces a federal charge of illegal possession of ammunition in violation of an earlier restraining order taken out by an ex-girlfriend"

Why would it be illegal to have the ammo?

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
It must be due to the language of the restraining order. Without knowing all the details it hard to speculate with any accuracy.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
olefafl said:
Why would it be illegal to have the ammo?

Because he has a DVRO (Domestic Violence Restraining Order) which means he must surrender all firearms and ammo. He didnt.

tistan

Established Member
So the government can sieze you guns and ammo if your old lady is pissed at you and takes out a restraining order. What happened to the Bill of Rights?

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Last edited:

olefafl

Established Member
olefafl said:
During a search of Rieder's home in April, ATF agents noticed large amounts of ammunition, radios, car parts, batteries, plastic sheeting, flashlights, water and other items. They also found several 25-gallon drums filled with gasoline in his garage.

Didn't the goverment say to "stock up" on some of this? I know they said put the plastic on the windows to seal up your house in case of gas.

FordSVTFan said:
Because he has a DVRO (Domestic Violence Restraining Order) which means he must surrender all firearms and ammo. He didnt.

Is that something they put in all DVROs or just his?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
tistan said:
So the government can sieze you guns and ammo if your old lady is pissed at you and takes out a restraining order. What happened to the Bill of Rights?

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

There was due process, since he had the opportunity to respond to the RO. In almost every state in the union, you become involved in a Domestic Violence incident, you will lose your guns - period.

epix

Established Member
the guy lives near me, he owns a local business and the last few months he started to go insane.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
The guy was committed to a mental health facility. He had a DVO charge against him that was obviously substantiated.....

So in the word of Martin Lawrence in "National Security".......

What the Problem is?

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
tistan said:

Amendment V

Your "old lady" being pissed at you will NOT get a judge to put in place a DVRO, there must be notice, a hearing and evidence, hence the Due Process that is afforded under the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution before any "Liberty" can be taken away.

You might want to read a few books on the U.S. Constitution before quoting it.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
olefafl said:
Is that something they put in all DVROs or just his?

I havent seen one without it. They typical order that firearms and ammo be removed from the home. Usually, the firearms and ammo are not seized and just need to be placed with someone else in a different location.

If convicted of domestic violence, under the Lautenberg Amendment, you can not ever again possess a firearm.

http://www.gunlawnews.org/lautenberg.html

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
NOXCUSES said:
Why would they have just dumped gas? What a waste

You should also learn to read. No where does it say they "just dumped gas". The article specifically states that it was being removed by a private contractor. I am guessing here, but since it is evidence it can't just be dumped, probalby stored somewhere until after adjudication of the case and then sold, auctioned, or used in LEO vehicles

jshen

Established Member
We live in a time where domestic violence is quite an issue. I totally agree that those who cannot control their behavior do not need firearms or anything else- hence the restraining orders. I think LEOs will agree that the most dangerous types of calls are the domestic violence ones.

Unfortunately, I was married to a petite lady who had the worst temper I'd ever seen, that I didn't get a chance to see until we were married. She would go from calm to violent in moment and even referred to getting a gun...With the gun incident..I knew it was a matter of time before something happened, so I filed divorce papers on her...In GA, if you have any record of DV, you cannot own a firearm, cannot be..in my job..etc.

Now, being single...I have my guns, ammo....and a quiet house...

FordSVTFan

Established Member
jshen said:
We live in a time where domestic violence is quite an issue. I totally agree that those who cannot control their behavior do not need firearms or anything else- hence the restraining orders. I think LEOs will agree that the most dangerous types of calls are the domestic violence ones.

Unfortunately, I was married to a petite lady who had the worst temper I'd ever seen, that I didn't get a chance to see until we were married. She would go from calm to violent in moment and even referred to getting a gun...With the gun incident..I knew it was a matter of time before something happened, so I filed divorce papers on her...In GA, if you have any record of DV, you cannot own a firearm, cannot be..in my job..etc.

Now, being single...I have my guns, ammo....and a quiet house...

That is why spouses and girlfriends of L.E.O.s have that very substantial card with filing a false D.V. charge and the officer winding up with a Lautenberg problem and no job.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
That is why spouses and girlfriends of L.E.O.s have that very substantial card with filing a false D.V. charge and the officer winding up with a Lautenberg problem and no job.

I had a very close LEO friend that ended up like this. His girlfriend alledged he beat her up. Other officers showed up and arrested him. They hauled him off to the regional jail center and booked him. He lost his job, his home and everything else he had worked so hard for. Whether it was true or not only she knows. Nothing ever came of it except him going to jail and losing everything. Here in WV domestic violence is considered a lot worse than murder. Thats why you never raise your hand to a woman or even say you are going to. Because if you do, its off to jail for you.

Last edited:

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
It sounds to me that this individual was stock piling for a war. Probably one that he was about to start. This past Saturday, three police officers were shot, two killed in Odessa, Texas while investigating a Domestic Dispute. This person lost his right to bear arms due to his own actions. Rightfully so.

Users who are viewing this thread