IL DUI with CDL?

king nothing

Established Member
The way I understand the law is that if you have a CDL and are driving a commercial vehicle the threshhold for DUI is .04 and in a non commercial vehicle its still .08. Others argue that If you have a CDL it doesnt matter what vehicle you are in (commercial vehicle or your personal vehicle) you can get the DUI at .04. This seems like a double standard to me. Anyone confirm which view is correct?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The way I understand the law is that if you have a CDL and are driving a commercial vehicle the threshhold for DUI is .04 and in a non commercial vehicle its still .08. Others argue that If you have a CDL it doesnt matter what vehicle you are in (commercial vehicle or your personal vehicle) you can get the DUI at .04. This seems like a double standard to me. Anyone confirm which view is correct?

Ill. Stat. §383.51 holds: For a first conviction or refusal to be tested while operating a non-CMV, a CDL holder must be disqualified from operating a CMV for a period of one year.

There is no double standard. By being granted the privilege of possessing a CDL and making a living driving the roads of the state/country the holder of a CDL is expected to act in a manner befitting such a privilege.

king nothing

Established Member
Ill. Stat. §383.51 holds: For a first conviction or refusal to be tested while operating a non-CMV, a CDL holder must be disqualified from operating a CMV for a period of one year.

There is no double standard. By being granted the privilege of possessing a CDL and making a living driving the roads of the state/country the holder of a CDL is expected to act in a manner befitting such a privilege.
That wasnt my question. my question was this. CDL holders only have to blow .04 to get a DUI. I think that is just while driving the CMV. Others think that it applies while driving your personal vehicle as well. I wanted to know what the law said as I cant find anything difinitive. the double standard is the .04/.08 thing. Can I get a DUI at .06 in my personal vehicle while a non CDL driver would not?

Users who are viewing this thread