Ignitor Tick Info??

LSX_Terminator

Established Member
Ok I have been searching this for a few days now, and still really dont have any answers on this tick. 2014 M6 1500 miles. First oil change to Amsoil SS 10W-30. The tick came right after I did the oil change and for some weird reason seems to be linked to the AC being on?? I've seen TSB for this on 11-12's, have any of the newer 5.0 guys had this problem fixed? Is it really Ac related or is it motor related?? Why would it start after an oil change??

86Fbody

Established Member
Ok I have been searching this for a few days now, and still really dont have any answers on this tick. 2014 M6 1500 miles. First oil change to Amsoil SS 10W-30. The tick came right after I did the oil change and for some weird reason seems to be linked to the AC being on?? I've seen TSB for this on 11-12's, have any of the newer 5.0 guys had this problem fixed? Is it really Ac related or is it motor related?? Why would it start after an oil change??

If it id tied to the AC being on I would check to see if you can get the TSB done for the stretchy belt and see what happens. Also read something recently about high zinc level oils getting rid of the tick, you could also try that, though I feel like that is just a band aide fix.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
The stock factory oil fill is rumored to have an oil additive in it and its not suppose to be changed until a certain amout of miles on on the car. Many people who have changed their oil early experienced the tick.

If its tied to the AC belt that's good and it can be fixed with the tsb.

LSX_Terminator

Established Member
Update:
Went and messed with the car a bit. I can start the car (cold start) and let it warm up and no tick with the AC off. Once I turn the AC on the tick will eventually start. Not alot but off and on. Now, once the AC is on the noise does get worse with a load on the motor. I can barely engage the clutch and have the tick start. At this point (car fully warm) with the AC on or off the noise is still there with a load. That should add to the confusion

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
have the same tick, exact same symptoms and can reproduce the exact same as OP.

I just ignore it. If it was an issue with the motor, i would have experienced it already

sloppymax

Established Member
I had the same issue on my 12. Turning on AC just magnified the noise. It went away within 200 miles or so after the first oil change. I left the OEM fill in for 5k miles. Popped up again after the second and third oil change. The tick loudness did seem to lessen over the three times but I also changed oil brand and weight each time. Changed the oil the other week and no noticeable tick even with the hood up listening for it.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Just use the factory synthetic blend and you shouldnt have issues. Also change the old by the oil life monitor. Keeping to those standards should atleast keep your warranty intact should you still be stock and have to bring it in for this. Otherwise they could deny....

RFM50

Established Member
Had this same problem with stock motor and never really did narrow down what it was. I had my short block rebuilt with forged internals and swapped out for billet oil pump gears and boss valve springs and no more tick. I know this doesn't narrow it down much but it should tell you that the Fords tsb is bs. Had a buddy with a 12 with the same issue as well. I think it's just a carechteristcs of the factory tolerences. Let's just hope Ford fixed this with the 15.

LSX_Terminator

Established Member
Anything is possible, but I do find it really hard to believe that just changing to a "better" oil could be the issue. It is a Track Pack car, but I dont think the 5W-50 was doing it any favors. I'm about ready to just buy the factory oil and change it back. Wonder why the AC would amplify an internal issue with the motor? If that's what it is?

LSX_Terminator

Established Member
Called a few dealers, no help at all. They are telling me to put the 5w-50 back in it. That is the issue. Anyone having problems with 10w-30 SS Amsoil??

RFM50

Established Member
Anything is possible, but I do find it really hard to believe that just changing to a "better" oil could be the issue. It is a Track Pack car, but I dont think the 5W-50 was doing it any favors. I'm about ready to just buy the factory oil and change it back. Wonder why the AC would amplify an internal issue with the motor? If that's what it is?

The Ac would amplify it because it is creating load on the motor. Try the amsoil. I have heard it has an additive in it that quites these motors down a lot.

SirJAG

Established Member
eh..... mine ticked with factory fill since 100 miles on clock. i changed to moble one at 1500miles and the tick remained...switched to aimsoil10-30 SS at 2500-3000 and the tick remained...almost 30K miles on car now and still ticking strong! mine is a 12gtcs, and of the 3 other 11+ GTs in my block 2 of us tick the same, the other two not...also had a RS3 car also make the same ticking...

and that factory fill additive is BS, internet missinformation.

LSX_Terminator

Established Member
eh..... mine ticked with factory fill since 100 miles on clock. i changed to moble one at 1500miles and the tick remained...switched to aimsoil10-30 SS at 2500-3000 and the tick remained...almost 30K miles on car now and still ticking strong! mine is a 12gtcs, and of the 3 other 11+ GTs in my block 2 of us tick the same, the other two not...also had a RS3 car also make the same ticking...

and that factory fill additive is BS, internet missinformation.

I hear ya man. Alot of bad info floating around. That's why I'm looking for the ppl that are dealing with the issue. Thanks for the input. Dealer made me feel like I caused the tick based on oil.

sloppymax

Established Member
My first change mentioned above was the Ford filter and syn blend 5W-20 (first oil change free at dealer). I realize we have different factory fills but the Ford syn blend had the loudest tick of any of oil changes thus far and I left the factory fill in for just over 5k miles.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Called a few dealers, no help at all. They are telling me to put the 5w-50 back in it. That is the issue. Anyone having problems with 10w-30 SS Amsoil??

That indeed is not the issue. If that were true, every Coyote with 5W-20 in it would tick the entire engine life.

Even if you had 5W-50 in it, by 5,000 miles....the engine would have to "tick" because the oil sheared so much. The flaw is mechanical engine based, not fluid oil choice.

Last edited:

LSX_Terminator

Established Member
That indeed is not the issue. If that were true, every Coyote with 5W-20 in it would tick the entire engine life.

Even if you had 5W-50 in it, by 5,000 miles....the engine would have to "tick" because the oil sheared so much. The flaw is mechanical engine based, not fluid oil choice.

PM'd you again. Ya by no means do I think its the oil. Just trying to get some info bc the dealer has no idea. Did start after the change though

Cobra 2997

Established Member
I have the Amsoil in it now... Motorcraft factory fill = no tick / Amsoil 10w-30 = tick

Exact same thing happened with my '12 Boss and GT500. I changed the oil at around 1000 miles in both. Both ticked immediately afterward. Even my wife noticed it and comments on it.

I have a '13 F150 w/5.0 and I'm waiting until 7500 miles to change the original fill.
With my '14 GT, I'm going to wait at least 5000 miles to change it.

Edit - I'm in no way implying that Amsoil caused the ticking. Just possibly a characteristic of this engine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread