Ignition switch issues..

mikes35

Established Member
My ignition switch is sometimes not turning. I'm afraid that one day I'll get in the car and it won't start due to the switch being stuck. Can I get a new switch programmed to my key or how does that work? To complicate things, I only have one key and do not have any remotes. If I wasn't having problems with the switch I would just get another 2 keys and 2 remotes and have them programmed. Now that I have the ignition switch issue I don't want to get additional keys and remotes programmed only to need a new ignition down the road. Any suggestions as to how to get through this with as little cost as possible? Thanks,Mike

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Your key is probably wearing down. Get a new one cut and hope that it remedies it.

mikes35

Established Member
Just called the Ford dealer. $25 a key plus $100 to program it. They need my license, title and mileage and about an hours time to get the info from Ford to cut the key to factory specs. I then called a local locksmith. He said he'd come to my house, cut 2 blanks I already have and program them for $70. He'll also check my ignition switch. Hopefully he can figure it out. I just noticed that the key I have is not working well in the door or the truck, so it probably is worn down. I figured the key would be harder than the locks and would be less likely to wear down, hopefully it is the key and I'm wrong. Thanks....

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yep. Sounds like your key is definitely worn down. That's not uncommon for any key that gets a lot of use, whether it's a car key, house key, or whatever. Since you don't have a second key, you'll probably have to take it to a Ford dealer to have the new one(s) programmed. It requires two "master" keys to program additional keys.

Zemedici

Established Member
And for the record, the higher ups at ford have made it almost impossible to retrieve key codes for vehicles to cut keys, so many hoops to jump through.....

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They're becoming really picky on who gets key information.

mikes35

Established Member
They're becoming really picky on who gets key information.
I can understand making sure you are not cutting a key for someone who doesn't own the car. I don't really have an issue with the security aspect, but the pricing to program seems a little outrageous. It's all part of the profit game I guess...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can understand making sure you are not cutting a key for someone who doesn't own the car. I don't really have an issue with the security aspect, but the pricing to program seems a little outrageous. It's all part of the profit game I guess...
Not really. It takes time. Time means the inability to work on other cars.

sleek98

Established Member
Since you have two keys already get them cut and here is the programming steps for them. Looks like there is a limit on how many keys can be programmed to the car.

mikes35

Established Member
Thanks for the info- I'll have 3 keys once the locksmith shoes up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikes35

Established Member
Locksmith came. Cut one of my chipped keys, cut a non chipped door key and cut one of his chipped keys. Programmed my key and the key he sold me. Charged me $70. He left and I programmed my 2 eBay wireless remotes. So far so good. All seems to be working. So much less than the dealer would have cost.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread