If you traded your GT for the Boss, step inside please...

ArabianOak

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT and have the oppurtunity to get a new Boss or 2012 GT500. I have a similar thread in the 5.0 section but wanted to get specific input from anyone who might have traded their 2011-12 5.0 GT for a Boss.

Was it worth the price? If so how come? My GT has intake/tune/373's and ran a best of 12.2@117 so I don't think the boss will feel any faster.

Is it easier modding the regular GT 5.0 over the boss?

Any thoughts from those of you that have done this would be great...

Thanks!

Last edited:

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
Its not so much faster. Ut feels totally different. It builds power different. Has all the suspension you might ever want. Race car engine. Its a road runner engine and not a coyote. Looks sexy and is a head turner. I get stopped about twice a day for ppl with questions. Oddly enough they are all not ford fans but cant believe the art that ford has done with the boss. Its a limited car so it shout keep its value more than about anything else ford has made. I traded my 2011 for my boss and had to float negative equity into it but i have a special car. My 2011 was a little faster with intake and tune but this bossis a whole new monster. I. Got the recaro and torson package.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I didn't trade one in, but I test drove 2 GT's before buying the Boss. They're not even remotely the same species. The Boss is better in every single way from a performance point of view. Handling, road manners, balance, power...I have never driven a car I was less tempted to mod, not even my old boring Dodge truck. The car is just too perfect to mess with. The best part is, it's still good in all those areas without losing the fun factor; sports cars like the Viper and Corvette do all those things well, but they introduce an aspect of violence and unpredictability that is simply not there with a Boss.

ArabianOak

Established Member
I didn't trade one in, but I test drove 2 GT's before buying the Boss. They're not even remotely the same species. The Boss is better in every single way from a performance point of view. Handling, road manners, balance, power...I have never driven a car I was less tempted to mod, not even my old boring Dodge truck. The car is just too perfect to mess with. The best part is, it's still good in all those areas without losing the fun factor; sports cars like the Viper and Corvette do all those things well, but they introduce an aspect of violence and unpredictability that is simply not there with a Boss.

thanks for the input...these are the types of things I enjoy reading. Is the boss alot stiffer of a ride on the highway?

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
My GT has intake/tune/373's and ran a best of 12.2@117 so I don't think the boss will feel any faster.

My Boss went 12.3 at 117.99mph bone stock, stock tires, with traction control on. After a few bolt-ons and some tires I've gone 11.5 and my highest trap is 123.5....with traction control not completely disabled. The Boss will trap about 4mph higher then an equivalently modded GT. Aside from the straight line performance the Boss has sooo much more to offer.

I've also have a 2011 Shelby, absolutely remarkable car......except for the horid 1-2 grind, which is why I got rid of mine. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Boss :beer:

ArabianOak

Established Member
My Boss went 12.3 at 117.99mph bone stock, stock tires, with traction control on. After a few bolt-ons and some tires I've gone 11.5 and my highest trap is 123.5....with traction control not completely disabled. The Boss will trap about 4mph higher then an equivalently modded GT. Aside from the straight line performance the Boss has sooo much more to offer.

I've also have a 2011 Shelby, absolutely remarkable car......except for the horid 1-2 grind, which is why I got rid of mine. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Boss :beer:

wow...what mods gave you a 123mph trap speed? that is insane!

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
I went from an 04 Cobra to the Boss and Haven't looked back!!
Better in every way. With a few mods (less than $1K) you can be in the neighborhood of a pulled Cobra HP if thats what you are worried about.

ArabianOak

Established Member
if i had a 123mph trap speed and was near stock, thats all i would want! lol...pretty crazy for an NA car...thats C6Z06 territory!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
wow...what mods gave you a 123mph trap speed? that is insane!

I have AR lt headers with cats, magnaflow catback, Airaid cold air intake, and a JMS tune. I would have trapped higher if the tc was completely disengaged.

if i had a 123mph trap speed and was near stock, thats all i would want! lol...pretty crazy for an NA car...thats C6Z06 territory!

I also have one of the fastest pass's in the country for a bone stock C6Z on oem tires, which was 11.50 at 123mph, almost identical to my Boss with bolt-ons/tires Boss :beer:

stock +magnaflow catback
2012 Boss 302 at the drag strip - YouTube

bolt-ons
Boss at The Rock - YouTube

I went back to the strip after learning how to completely disengage the tc and went 11.58 @119mph. I was trapping 4 mph higher the previous week at a different drag strip in much better conditions. I honestly believe my Boss has low low 11's at 125 in the right conditions.

Boss 302 11.58 @119.78, 1.69 60ft - YouTube

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
arabianoak, what kind of car do you want? sounds like you are a drag car guy. if thats your thing, i am not sure you would appreciate the special things the boss 302 brings to the table.

q: have you ever wanted a bmw m3? if the answer is no, dont get the boss 302. mod your gt or buy a shelby gt500. the boss has hp and can go fast in a straight line, but the real value is the handling and the cornering which is done at an elite level.

for a drag car there are many better options than a boss package

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
^the Boss is a phenomenal platform to build from and can be enjoyed in many types of arenas. For me, the drag strip is simply a form of measurement to let me know where the car stands before and after modifications. Road course racing absolutely eats cars alive, brakes, tires, and rock chips. I bought my Boss to be used as a night/weekend warrior with no specific goal in mind other then to enjoy getting behind the wheel for any purpose. So far it has perfectly fulfilled that purpose.

I would NOT buy a 2010+ Shelby if you plan to ever visit a drag strip, I've had 2 of them and both of the tr6060's had a major 1-2 grind, couldnt make it down the drag strip for a single pass. The mt82 has it's share of problems but hasnt shown me an ounce of trouble since owning the car, and most problems seem to be coming from road course racing, especially going into 5th gear.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
thanks for the input...these are the types of things I enjoy reading. Is the boss alot stiffer of a ride on the highway?

Maybe a little bit, but not enough to dismiss the car. I also have it lowered about 1.5in with BMR springs.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
same here...the way it sounds to me is that the Boss is a better option than the 2012 GT500.

The person I bought mine from told me stock for stock, my Boss was pretty much door-to-door with an SVTPP '12 GT500 :shrug:

ArabianOak

Established Member
Well gang you convinced me to get a new 2012 Boss...

Next question as I order mine today...

Orange, Red or White????

I really love that orange! thoughts?

LostPony

Established Member
I concur with TXPD, if straight line is your thing, stay with a GT or GT500. Why waste all that time they put into developing a road course terror by only driving it 1/4 mile at a time?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
^the Boss is a phenomenal platform to build from and can be enjoyed in many types of arenas. For me, the drag strip is simply a form of measurement to let me know where the car stands before and after modifications. Road course racing absolutely eats cars alive, brakes, tires, and rock chips. I bought my Boss to be used as a night/weekend warrior with no specific goal in mind other then to enjoy getting behind the wheel for any purpose. So far it has perfectly fulfilled that purpose. .

thats fine. the op seemed to be particularly interested in drag racing and straight line speed. i based my position on an asked question.

boss 302 is a handling package. its benchmark is bmw m3. if you are traffic light popper or a drag racer, there are better ways to go and less expensive.

as a cruiser, a boss is awesome. if enjoying a good drive is what you want from a car boss 302 is a great choice.

many people have no idea what a boss 302 is, what its heritage is, and what the specific function of this particular edition of the mustang is designed to do.

i owned a very cool 1969 Boss 302. one of the first 10 built. i can tell you from the mustang car shows that i did that most mustang enthusiasts didnt know the difference between a mach 1 and a boss 302.

ArabianOak

Established Member
2012mustang_boss_02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread