If you run a 4.30 or high please come in

NC Mystic

Established Member
i know there are gear calculators that will tell me what rmp it will sit at etc

but i have not seen this question asked and it is really all i am bothered with

If you run a 4.30, 4.56 or 4.88 what price in fuel cost different do you see from the stock gear on a 1 hour (60 mile) trip ranging between 55mph and say 70 or so

thanks for the feed back guys, i want to wake the mystic up but just want to know i can afford to drive it still

NC Mystic

Established Member
ie, how much more will i spend at the pump to cover a 60 mile highway trip when using a steep gear as mention vs stock 3.27

Bite u

Established Member
Depends on how fast u drive n your wheel n tire setup... Ie what rpm your crusing at. Mine with 4.56's n 26" slicks covered a 60 mile round trip on the interstate to the track, made 5 passes n Road back. Was below a half a tank when I left and was in between e n 1/4 somewhat close to 1/4.. Cruised roughly 65-70 (2800 or a tad higher Rpms) n remember that after a 1/2 your tank goes alot quicker.. So that ain't to bad I don't think

98fourvalve

Established Member
I run 4.30s have for years. Drove it back and forth from home to phoenix quite a few times, it averaged mid 20s mpg-wise all the time. Still gets over 20mpg with my new cammed big bore engine.

4.30s will only knock a small bit off your mpgs. They will definitely not kill your gas mileage enough to where you can't drive your car.

IMO a 60 mile trip on the highway cost wise won't really cost more at all. A dollar or 2 if anything.

NC Mystic

Established Member
hahaha YESS !!!!!

superb, **** the bull**** let's do this!

that being the case the mystic is getting a gear this summer for sure.

most of you say 4.30's, does that wake it up enough?

has anyone rode in or driven a 4.30 geared cobra as well as something steeper like a 4.56 or 4.88?

i want it to be an animal, and anything close to 20mpg i can do all day long. i no longer fear the gear haha

oh and i have saleen 18x10 rears with a 285x40 tire out back

Last edited:

98fourvalve

Established Member
I wouldn't fear 4.56s. If I had to do it all over again with a bolt on 4v stick car, I'd run 4.56s. It is only a 200rpm difference when you are cruising. Will not affect mpgs really any more than 4.30s will. People are just panzees.

Bite u

Established Member
Yeah the difference between 4.30 n 4.56 I would just do the 56's n for highway use or street use run a 28" tall tire to make up for the difference when cruising. And for the track run 26"... Makes a big difference at the track ;)

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I think this is the first gear thread I've posted on in over 2 yrs. lol.

So when I used to drive to the track it was 63 miles from my garage to the front gate of the track. I would leave my house with a 3/4 tank. Get there with just a hair over half. Make 6-8 passes and it would be 3/16th of tank then drive home. When I pulled up I was just about on E. I kept the rpms about 2600 (about 66 mph).

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread