If you had about $5k to spend on mods...

s1rGr1nG0

Established Member
I will be buying a Lightning later this year and hopefully getting one that is pretty much stock. If you had about $5k to spend on performance increasing mods what would be the first thing/s to get and what would that do for the truck? (i.e HP, torque, etc...)
I'm trying to plan my future purchases in order to get the most out of the truck in the least amount of time.

Thanks guys!

bmfgsxr

Established Member
a motor would be a great first choice. although i guess it depends on what you have planned for your L down the road. if you dont have plans of making it an 11 second, or better truck then you could mod it in other ways. if you plan on heavy mods, and want a strong reliable engine build the motor out first. if your not looking for monster power then you could buy yourself a kenne bell s/c, cai, xcalII and get a custom dyno tune. then pick up an ftvb, and some traction bars. maybe drop the truck 1" front and 3" rear, tint the windows, and that would probably be about it.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely built motor. Doesnt matter whether you want to go high horsepower or not. Its just added insurance and the choices to which route you want to go are endless.

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
I agree, if you're planning to make big power, buying a built truck will save you a ton of $.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
bfmgsxr has a good point. Depends what you are looking for. For 5k you could do a bunch of mods, wheels, lowering kit, the options are pretty much endless.

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
If I had 5K right now to spend on the L Id buy a built SB no question about it. Actually Id try to find a built SB AND a built tranny to go with it. The rear end is REALLY stout from what I understand.

After that Id be lookin for low 11's high 10's. :)

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Turbo kit stock motor...

For those naysayers... I will post some numbers of different people just to remind them that it can and does happen.. and turbo is the way to go for big hp...

738 rwhp 795 rwtq.... 23 psi (Frank5L) 744 rwhp 814 rwtq... 22 psi (02 HD) 707 rwhp 763 rwtq ( 00 L ) 20 psi..

Last edited:

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
I would say build the motor and the trans. if any left over. get traction bars and slicks.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Post edited... sorry my numbers were slightly off...

Stock bottom end stock heads... ;)

Frank 5L from NLOC..
James @ Race Related
Customer @ Race Related...

speedzilla

i would say a Kenne Bell with blower, keep it under 450rwhp or thereabouts with a good dyno tune (and upgraded MAF), and traction bars. then you still have money in the bank.

s1rGr1nG0

Established Member
Wow, thanks for all the replies!
As I mentioned in my original post I'm going to be getting an L later this year, probably around November or December.
I work in Iraq so when I buy the truck I will only be in the states about two weeks and then head back overseas. While I'm in the Mid East I will be buying parts and having them sent home ready to be installed.

Can you say...mod party?? :)

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
CHICOSVT said:
and where might i find that truck?? i would love to see it run.

Chico,

To my knowledge none of them are still stock... everyone of they tried to keep upping the boost on the motors... about 700 rwhp on a turbo is your breaking point. Frank lives in Arkansas I believe. James @ R.R. sold his turbo Harley to someone in Texas I believe... and the black L is somewhere in the state of florida.. could not tell ya where though...

Anything else you want to know... ask away..

Users who are viewing this thread