If my highway mpg is high and city mpg is low?

kaos

Established Member
Is it me or is something wrong with my car?

I get around 15 in the city and today I filled up my tank, drove 70 miles to race the 1/4 mile. I took 4 trips down the track and I drove 70 miles back and filled up again. To my surprise I was at 24.6 mpg.

I know I asked this before. I'm not trying to turn this into a honda civic. I only ask because so many people get such good gas mileage that it makes me wonder if something is wrong with my car. I went up 3 mpg when I switched plugs so my low mpg was an indication of something that was wrong. I already replaced the o2 sensors. Anything else I should check to make sure everything is in working order?

My typical driving habits are as follows. I shift anywhere from 3-4 grand and I rev match most of my downshifts and occasionaly I will without thinking about it, cruise at 2600-3000 before I even think of shifting because I hate driving my car at 1800-2000 rpm. I also have 3.55's.

Damn I can't seem to make short posts!!!

Thanks.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
That mileage sounds really good. I dont think theres anything wrong with your car. You're complaing about 24.6 mpg on the highway? I dont think mine gets that good of gas mileage. :rockon: who cares. My Cobra gets all the premium she needs, :burnout:

rdvenom99

Established Member
I don't even keep track of my cobras gas mileage. Would probably hurt to look at after driving a 4 banger for a daily driver that gets 30+mpg. :)

kaos

Established Member
I don't know where you got that, but I'm not complaining. I couldn't believe I got that much. I was happy, but it made me think about my city mpg. Just do a search and see how many people are getting 17-20 in the city. Sometimes I wonder if people are padding those numbers, and making me all paranoid. :)

Normally I don't pay attention to it unless I notice that I'm filling up more often for some reason. If I hadn't started to keep track I would still have stock plugs in there and I would be getting 12 mpg. So see there was something wrong with my car. The low gas mileage was indicative of a problem and I wanted to fix it. I'm still learing about this car and I would like to keep her running as efficient as possible. I'm anal that way.

****Disclaimer****** I don't care what my mileage is. I only care that my car is running in tip top shape.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
thats pretty much what i get, anywhere from 14-18 city and 20+ highway with 4:10's, I got 25mpg on my last trip to vegas, doing an average of 85mph

03DOHC

Established Member
In my '97 Cobra I got about 13-14 city and the best hwy was about 23mpg. This was with 4.30 gears installed. My city mileage went down after the gear install.

trents99

99cbra was my hero
Established Member
If you have a lot of stop lights/stop signs in your city then that would probably be normal. That is unless you shift gears at 2000 rpms and never cruise over 3000 rpms. Stop and go will kill your mileage in these things.

kaos

Established Member
As long as it's normal I'm happy. I don't intend on changing my driving habits anytime soon. I still can't believe I get such good gas mileage. It's exactly what I would get in my 4 banger.

Thanks. :beer:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Originally posted by omslaw
I don't know where you got that, but I'm not complaining. I couldn't believe I got that much.

Mustve been the part where you asked if there was something wrong with your car. :beer:

kaos

Established Member
No worries. I should have put my disclaimer in the first post, but I forgot. I'm just really anal and I want everything working the way it's supposed to.

griffined

SVT driver
I see about the same in my 01 as you report. I was getting around 15 MPG for city driving. Lots of short trips.

When I drove across the country to move from CA to FL, I got anywhere from 21-25 MPG and that's doing between 70-95 MPH on the Interstate.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread