If a plug is to hot can it cause damage to the engine?

nivek

Banned
I have been running some brisk plugs (17) in a mostly stock 03 for about 8 months. I pulled them this weekend and noticed browning around the ceramic and the metal. Two had very fine cracks in the ceramic and one the tip was a little loose. I mean you had to twist it really hard, but you could tell it was loose.

Should I be concerned about the internal components being damaged if the plugs are to hot?

Lightning Performance is where I purchased the plugs from and since then they are now recommending a colder plug. They will do a swap at no charge.

nugen

Established Member
Yes, a hot plug can cause detonation. If LFP is offering the swap at no charge then do it. If they wanted you to pay for the plugs, you should do it anyway. Think about this, your engine will cost $10,000 to replace. How much do they want for those plugs?

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
I have stock plugs in my 04 cobra, should I upgrade the plugs and wires, will i notice a difference in performance, what brand of plugs if I should upgrade

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
SVTCOBRAKID said:
I have stock plugs in my 04 cobra, should I upgrade the plugs and wires, will i notice a difference in performance, what brand of plugs if I should upgrade
A colder plug will give you a better burn, but if you are still stock I don't really think it is necessary. You may want to just for some piece of mind, couldn't hurt. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread