Idles way too fast. Any ideas?

Avispa

Established Member
Started having an idle speed problem about 2 weeks ago. Car would idle at 1200 or so. I could blip the throttle and get it back to 750 where it's programmed. In the last couple of days, idle speed's gone up to 1500, and the throttle blip doesn't work any more.

I'm running with the IAC wire pulled off cuz this is my DD - it idles at 750 where it's supposed to. Occasionally will idle at 1000, but I can blip the throttle and get the idle back where it belongs. Plug the IAC wire back on and the idle goes back up to 12-1500. I've put the factory tune back in and reinstalled the JDM tune a couple of times; left the battery disconnected overnight; nothing seems to work.

Other than the idle issue, the car runs perfectly. Checked the PCV valve and system; it's ok (draws a couple inches of vacuum on the intake tube side), all the vacuum lines seem to be hooked up properly.

Anyone have any ideas? I've heard '03 ECMs do this sort of thing and the problem can be cured with an '04 ECM, but figured one of y'all might have a better answer. I do get an SES light, but that's from having the IAC wire pulled off, and I get only the trouble code for the IAC circuit when I check em. There are no other malfunction codes.

Thanks.

Avispa

Established Member
I had the battery disconnected overnight. I also reinstalled the factory tune and then put the JDM tune back in several times. Is there another way to reset the computer?

Avispa

Established Member
Turned out to be a bad throttle body. Borrowed one off bro-in-law's Whippled '03 and now it idles perfectly. I'm gonna give him the call on whether to buy him a new TB, or give him his back and buy myself a new one.

Question: If I'm getting the new TB, whose should I get? I'm replacing an Accufab single blade. It was a POS from the beginning (had to recenter the butterfly, reset the stop screw, all sorts of baloney), so I'm not too sure about Accufab, but, I'll take advice. Anybody have a good experience with a bolt-it-on-the-Whipple (or KB) and it worked perfectly right out of the box?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread