Idler Pulley Squeal

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
Anyone got a quick fix for this? Normally it occurs right after startup for a minute or two. It can just get really annoying when it does this cuz I dont like hearing my car squeal when i start it up...unless its coming from my tires :).

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I have the same problem, the mechanic said the bearing inside is getting a little worn and I should replace it within the next 3000 miles.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
MTShambles said:
Anyone got a quick fix for this? Normally it occurs right after startup for a minute or two. It can just get really annoying when it does this cuz I dont like hearing my car squeal when i start it up...unless its coming from my tires :).

QUICK? REPLACE IT!
$20 and 5 minutes - done. Is that quick enough?
And while you are at it, replace the serpentine belt (another $20) and kill two birds with one stone.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
A friend came to me with his '98 GT and a slight squeak for a short period after cold startup.

It was hard to tell exactly where the squeak was coming from. I told him either the idler or the tensioner pulley was the problem.

For the dollar differential I suggested we start with the idler pulley ($20) vs. the tensioner pulley ($120 assembly). The idler was all it took.

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
In my car it was the tensioner pully. I drove with the noise for about 10K miles before I broke down and replaced it.

Users who are viewing this thread