Idler Pulley Question??

REDFIRE03SVT

Established Member
My car chirps for about 15-20 min on a cold start until it gets really warmed up. I think either my tensioner pulley or my center idler pulley is bad (the one to the right of the tensioner pulley and below the blower pulley). I've done the listening through a screwdriver test and dont hear anything from either but it is coming from one of them. I took my belt off to see how they spin and the tensioner pulley doesnt spin freely like the other idlers but is smooth (doesn't grind) when i spin it. Is the tensioner pulley supposed to spin freely like the others?? I sprayed brake clean on the belt with the car running and it stopped the chirp for 20 seconds but then it came back...I also sprayed the tensioner and it stopped for about a second and then came back (for what its worth)... The other pulley spins smoothly and freely and everything but when i push it back and forth, it moves a little bit.. Is this normal? I dont know if it needs to be replaced because it doesnt wobble when i spin it and doesnt make a grinding noise or anything, it just moves a little bit if i push or pull on it... Checked the belt too and its fine.. Any advice or thoughts on a fix??

lococobra03

Established Member
The tensioner pulley should move freely. You can buy just the bearing and have the old pressed out and the new one pressed in. Total cost 5.50.

REDFIRE03SVT

Established Member
excellent, i just changed the belt and it doesnt chirp anymore!! I got a Dayco belt and now it really whistles! it sounds neat... thanks for the advice, i think i'll still change out that idler that wiggles cause it just doesnt seem safe..

Users who are viewing this thread