Idler Pulley Question

RJCobra

Established Member
Why are the replacement Idlers 92, 100, and 100 mm, while the stock ones are all 90 mm? Is there an advantage to bigger idler pullies and if so why only 2 out of 3?

dougwg

Established Member
When I started making them I wanted to go all 100's but because of geometry I had to make one smaller.

If you look at pic's with my 4 pulley kit installed you can see how close the belt gets to it's self. If I put a 100 where the 92 goes the belt would touch.

The Larger the idler the slower it spins.

The slower it spins the less HP it takes to spin it and the longer the bearings will last.

so... 3)100mm and 1)92mm :)

BTW: Some of the aftermarket pulleys are even smaller than 90mm

dezracer

Hey Doug..while yer here. Im getting set to install a 3.1 with RR non slip w 74.5 gaterback. I think i will be Ok on the slippage issue, but with what I have heard about the stock lower idler , would it be a good idea to replace it during my install ? How much $$ also/ thanks in advance .

RJCobra

Established Member
dougwg said:
When I started making them I wanted to go all 100's but because of geometry I had to make one smaller.

If you look at pic's with my 4 pulley kit installed you can see how close the belt gets to it's self. If I put a 100 where the 92 goes the belt would touch.

The Larger the idler the slower it spins.

The slower it spins the less HP it takes to spin it and the longer the bearings will last.

so... 3)100mm and 1)92mm :)

BTW: Some of the aftermarket pulleys are even smaller than 90mm

So the motor uses less HP to spin the larger idlers?

dougwg

Established Member
dezzracer said:
Hey Doug..while yer here. Im getting set to install a 3.1 with RR non slip w 74.5 gaterback. I think i will be Ok on the slippage issue, but with what I have heard about the stock lower idler , would it be a good idea to replace it during my install ? How much $$ also/ thanks in advance .

I would

Users who are viewing this thread