Idle Surge Issues

rath

Established Member
I'm having an issue at idle with my 2014 GT M6. The only mods to the car are a Lethal O/R-X, 47lb injectors, E85. I've searched the forums and haven't found an exact match for the issues I'm having so I thought I'd see if anybody has any words of wisdom.

I'm experiencing an issue where my car will idle fine for a period of time when I pull up to a light (30 seconds to a minute, sometimes longer) and then begin surging from 600 to 800 rpm's. Sometimes as soon as I pull up to a light the idle will surge, sometimes it takes the 30 seconds to a minute. The problem seems very inconsistent with when it is and isn't happening. The car hasn't surged to the point of stalling yet, but I'd like some opinions. I've ruled it out of being a tune related issue and instead feel its mechanical in nature as the tune ran fine for a number of months before this started to occur.

So far I've checked the MAF sensor which looked clean and conducted an idle relearn. After doing those things the problem is still there. I believe it's potentially the PCV valve/vac leak, or potentially an o2 sensor going bad. The car hasn't thrown a CEL and there aren't any stored DTC's on my SCT. Any ideas would be appreciated greatly.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
It's more then likely a tune issue, I would suggest contacting your tuner and seeing what he/she thinks about the issue. Maybe take a datalog of it happening so they can see it.

As long as there is no vacuum leak and the maf sensor looks clear of debris then it is a tune issue.

I DD on E85 and have ZERO issues.

-Thomas
www.teambeefcakeracing.com

bmoney50

Established Member
Guess you guys didn't read the part about it running fine for months so its not tune related. lol

rath

Established Member
Thanks Bmoney. Just to clarify, I ran the tune for 3-4 months before I began having this issue.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Guess you guys didn't read the part about it running fine for months so its not tune related. lol

Ok then you've got it all figured out, no need for any more responses, admin close this thread!....lol

tell you what you fool around with everything else you think it is, in the end it will be in the tune. Good luck!

rath

Established Member
Ok then you've got it all figured out, no need for any more responses, admin close this thread!....lol

tell you what you fool around with everything else you think it is, in the end it will be in the tune. Good luck!

Thanks Blackbeast. I'll certainly take it into account, do some more logging and send it to my tuner. I'm not 100% ruling it out, just don't suspect it and looking for potential similar mechanical issues people have encountered.

zemog255

Established Member
Have you done a KAM reset? Worth a shot with the seasons changing. Some will argue with this but its simple enough to try.

Also have you tested your E85 lately?

rath

Established Member
Have done a KAM reset and an idle relearn. Also, I've tested my E85 and it's at about E82 right now. Don't think its enough to efferct the idle.

rath

Established Member
Just trying to make this informational. I cant be the only person this has happened to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread