Idle surge and black smoke

SVT GI

Established Member
Black smoke is fuel. Still have the FRPS in your fuel setup? Have a wideband? What's it read at idle?

SVT GI

Established Member
Return or return less fuel system? If return and the regulator is post the rails and FRPS it will still show whatever pressure it's set at and won't tell you if the FRPS is bad.

Assuming you have double checked all vacuum and cold side for leaks. The car is dumping a ton of fuel in right now if you're getting black smoke at idle. Could be a few things. Stuck injector, bad O2 sensor, bad FRPS.

SVT GI

Established Member
Do you have a handheld you can data log with? Monitor stft (short term fuel trim) bank 1 & 2 at idle. It should be at 1.00 or close to it at idle.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Sounds like an air leak after the MAF to me. Check the couplers closer.

Also what intake is on the car? Stock Cobra/mach intake manfolds can blow out the freeze plugs on the lower intake.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
havent had the chance to do as suggested before this but its a sullivan lower with HPP upper

Ahh ok. Well we can throw the Intake manifold idea in the trash. Just make sure you check everyconnection very closely. Sometimes pipes will put out to the edge of the coupler and appear to be connected but its not. Also check anything connected to the intake, vacuum lines etc. It does not take much of a leak to make things start to run like crap.

MTBSully

Established Member
What are you seeing for Vac at idle? As stated, check all vac lines (wastegate and BOV an intake manifold) and cold side piping.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Does this car have stock cams? Stock cams you should be seeing between -20 and -17. Aftermarket cams can range from -15ish to -10ish. Sounds like a leak to me somewhere.

MTBSully

Established Member
Does this car have stock cams? Stock cams you should be seeing between -20 and -17. Aftermarket cams can range from -15ish to -10ish. Sounds like a leak to me somewhere.

+1. I have stock cams and im at -19 at idle. Check everything really good and let us know

Users who are viewing this thread