Idle Problem

Stage2Roush2002

Established Member
A friend just recently started having idling problems out of the blue. When coming to a stop the car will stay at 2000 rpm instead of 950 rpm. It will not return either, you can put it in gear and release the clutch and it will go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

built93cobra

BIG GIB
Established Member
I am having a similar issue on my 01 Bullitt. When I start coming to a stop and put the car in neutral, sometimes the idle really low, and then goes up to around 1500 rpms and catches itself. Other times it just completely stalls out after the idle drops. I am going to replace the idle control valve, but is there anything else that could cause this? I have already checked, and there are no vacuum leaks... Thanks, Matt

Stage2Roush2002

Established Member
I am having a similar issue on my 01 Bullitt. When I start coming to a stop and put the car in neutral, sometimes the idle really low, and then goes up to around 1500 rpms and catches itself. Other times it just completely stalls out after the idle drops. I am going to replace the idle control valve, but is there anything else that could cause this? I have already checked, and there are no vacuum leaks... Thanks, Matt

I am doing the same as well. Please let me know if it fixes it and I will let you know my results.

matt7275

Established Member
this happen really bad in my 95 GT and it was the IAC valve. and then again in my 02 GT but it was bc i put the TB and plenium on and it was fixed after i tuned it.

built93cobra

BIG GIB
Established Member
I am doing the same as well. Please let me know if it fixes it and I will let you know my results.

Installed a new IAC and TPS sensor, and cleaned the MAS and it is still doing it! I am going to try replacing the MAS next and see if that does it... Any other ideas of what could cause this? It doesn't do it every time, and it does it on the stock tune, as well as Bobcat's tune so it can't be a tuning issue...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stage2Roush2002

Established Member
Installed a new IAC and TPS sensor, and cleaned the MAS and it is still doing it! I am going to try replacing the MAS next and see if that does it... Any other ideas of what could cause this? It doesn't do it every time, and it does it on the stock tune, as well as Bobcat's tune so it can't be a tuning issue...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cleaned the MAF and replaced the IAC valve. Reset the ECU but got nothing. Still surges but not as bad or as long. So it must be something I worked on or near.

built93cobra

BIG GIB
Established Member
I think I finally fixed the problem! I was running a JLT CAI that was causing too much air to pass over the MAF, ultimately telling the car to put more gas in causing it to go super rich and stall out. I replaced it with the stock air box and problem solved! Worth a shot if you are running an aftermarket CAI...

Stage2Roush2002

Established Member
I think I finally fixed the problem! I was running a JLT CAI that was causing too much air to pass over the MAF, ultimately telling the car to put more gas in causing it to go super rich and stall out. I replaced it with the stock air box and problem solved! Worth a shot if you are running an aftermarket CAI...

Most likely that is it. The car runs super rich already and the tune is rich, I will try that out.

Users who are viewing this thread