Idle issues in my 03 Termi? Help?!

Blitz34

Established Member
So I'm not on this forum a lot but feel yall can offer more help so I have my 03 cobra. Had no codes or issues when first bought but I have recently gotten a code for IAC valve issues. p1506 code I believe. I have replaced the valve 2 times new gasket and all and still, the code is present and no others are showing. Is their a common problem I'm missing on these cars as far as the idle and IAC goes? Are aftermarket replacements fine? Do I need an oem part? The idle is rough and it idles anywhere from 1000-1200rpms at all times. It will bounce down to 800-900 for a period of 2-3 seconds and go back to 1000, so I know I have an idle problem but whats causing it is stumping me. If this is the wrong sub forum forgive me and please relocate it, but I need some help here guys and gals.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Have you tried to clean your maf sensor as well? Also I would go with an oem IAC. I just clean mine out with maf sensor cleaner.

Also what mods are done to the car? stock? any tune ever?

Blitz34

Established Member
I cleaned both sensors. It has a ported blower, exhaust, dyno tune, and pulley. Code was not there when I got the car so I doubt tune plays a factor. No vacuum lines are missing or lose either.

Greenwood1982

Established Member
So I'm not on this forum a lot but feel yall can offer more help so I have my 03 cobra. Had no codes or issues when first bought but I have recently gotten a code for IAC valve issues. p1506 code I believe. I have replaced the valve 2 times new gasket and all and still, the code is present and no others are showing. Is their a common problem I'm missing on these cars as far as the idle and IAC goes? Are aftermarket replacements fine? Do I need an oem part? The idle is rough and it idles anywhere from 1000-1200rpms at all times. It will bounce down to 800-900 for a period of 2-3 seconds and go back to 1000, so I know I have an idle problem but whats causing it is stumping me. If this is the wrong sub forum forgive me and please relocate it, but I need some help here guys and gals.

I had this happen to me at one time a year or so ago. It was due to this retune from a company I'd rather not mention. They suck at tuning. Have you retuned the car recently?

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
This is probably a stretch but it could be a bad ground. I installed HIDs in my car and one of the grounds was awful which I later found out. Between putting the HIDs in and taking them out, my car threw so many random codes idled at 2k rpm from time to time and randomly shut off due to it thinking it was being stolen. So many codes that were brought on by this ground. Here is a video of my issue back when I had it.

http://youtu.be/t5gzbhAJKLc

Blitz34

Established Member
So you purchased the car....it ran fine for awhile and then this started?

Right. Had it since day before thanksgiving. Ran great until the water pump failed so I did remove the intake tube to clean everything and did a plug change while it was down. Worked fine then a week later the code came on. Fought it since new years. Went through a hitachi brand, and duralast branded part. All test to 9-10 ohms and testing shows if they read anything but 7-13 replace it. So all 3 are good to that test but still idles above 1000rpms.

Blitz34

Established Member
This is probably a stretch but it could be a bad ground. I installed HIDs in my car and one of the grounds was awful which I later found out. Between putting the HIDs in and taking them out, my car threw so many random codes idled at 2k rpm from time to time and randomly shut off due to it thinking it was being stolen. So many codes that were brought on by this ground. Here is a video of my issue back when I had it.

http://youtu.be/t5gzbhAJKLc

I'm not sure but I haven't changed or otherwise touched anything related to my idle except the intake tube to reach that sides valve cover to change the plugs.

Blitz34

Established Member
I do also have some kind of oil separator mounted above my master cylinder as well. Idk the brand to know it works right but its kind of siliconed shut on the bottom. Possible culprit?

Greenwood1982

Established Member
I do also have some kind of oil separator mounted above my master cylinder as well. Idk the brand to know it works right but its kind of siliconed shut on the bottom. Possible culprit?

Sounds like a bad plug.....it happens. same happened to me when i changed my plugs and wires. I think you should check there. maybe something was reinstalled wrong or just a bad plug or coil pak.

This happened to my DD tuck

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Not sure how to test it while running since its gotta be plugged in to receive power.

If you have a volt meter with the pointy metal ends, you can stick them in the back of the connector well it is pluged in. Not sure which spots though, I have seen it posted on here before.

Greenwood1982

Established Member
Sorry I did read all of your post....Its possible something was knocked lose or a fuse has gone bad....have you looked this over?

Users who are viewing this thread