Idiots that try to talk about cars...

JMoraru

Established Member
I just dont get why some people decide to spit absolute bull crap information out about cars, especially to someone probably knows a good bit about them. Im an honest person and if anything enjoy downplaying my car, not lying and saying its twice as fast as it is.

Tonight i was filling up and went to get a drink. On the way out, I was stopped by a guy asking if the mustang was mine. I replied yes and he asked if i had taken it to the strip. I told him that i hadn't gotten the chance, but would like to. He then says something along the lines of "yea i did a few things to that grand prix and it runs a 10.9 quarter mile". He goes on to explain how he destroyed a gutted corolla race car or something like that...maybe that part is true . He goes on to tell me how he was keeping up with some Porsches racing through some mountain roads(yes this could be true if the Porsches weren't going all out).

He continues with explaining how he has installed a "switch" that allows him to tune the car for economy and if he flicks it over then it becomes super fast!:dw:

Anyways, the guy was a decent guy, but does he really think i believe him? Im nice to people like this, but im about ready to be like "if you claim that grand prix that MIGHT have some form of intake and tune on it runs 10.9s, then my car should run low 8's". I just don't get it and im not gonna waste my time or take any risks to shut them up on the street.

Im sure plenty of you have similar stories.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
this is why I just pretty much ignore people now when they ask...or give them some stupid answer to make them go away. What really gets me is when people ask you something about your car then proceed to tell you why you're wrong

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
I act deaf and hummmm alot when those people are around. I just start throwing out gang signs and shit. They usually just split after that.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I just dont get why some people decide to spit absolute bull crap information out about cars, especially to someone probably knows a good bit about them. Im an honest person and if anything enjoy downplaying my car, not lying and saying its twice as fast as it is.

Tonight i was filling up and went to get a drink. On the way out, I was stopped by a guy asking if the mustang was mine. I replied yes and he asked if i had taken it to the strip. I told him that i hadn't gotten the chance, but would like to. He then says something along the lines of "yea i did a few things to that grand prix and it runs a 10.9 quarter mile". He goes on to explain how he destroyed a gutted corolla race car or something like that...maybe that part is true . He goes on to tell me how he was keeping up with some Porsches racing through some mountain roads(yes this could be true if the Porsches weren't going all out).

He continues with explaining how he has installed a "switch" that allows him to tune the car for economy and if he flicks it over then it becomes super fast!:dw:

Anyways, the guy was a decent guy, but does he really think i believe him? Im nice to people like this, but im about ready to be like "if you claim that grand prix that MIGHT have some form of intake and tune on it runs 10.9s, then my car should run low 8's". I just don't get it and im not gonna waste my time or take any risks to shut them up on the street.

Im sure plenty of you have similar stories.

Cocaine is a helluva drug!

But yeah, people who think they know something about cars really annoy the crap out of people that actually do. I used to get this a lot at work, once a guy tried to argue me down that high flow exhaust is bad for cars and leads to less hp b/c as he put, "It looses all of the pressure", back pressure presumably. Most of the time I don't even bother w/ folks like this anymore, I just tell 'em yeah, you're probably right just so I can get on w/ my life.

I also used to have a lot of people ask me at gas stations if my car was "a real Cobra" and if so, why did I take the supercharger off?! :rollseyes

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I really can't stand talking to people like that, and I always call them out on it. I went to high school with a kid who did that and every time I called him out he always had some excuse or ridiculous reasoning as to why he was right.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My favorite was a 350z owner who kept asking what stage my turbo was. "No stage, real modders dont call things out in stages like gran turismo. Its an Evo 16g dude." him "yeah, but wat stage is it bro?! How much boist it be running?". Told him 22psi and the next words out of his mouth "damn thats like 500hp!" yes, because a measure of restriction also equals a measure of horsepower.....

Last edited:

slick4_6

Established Member
I found out just the other day that my car may be a real cobra but it was not a Svt because it did not have a supercharger. A previous owner must have put the badges on it.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I usually just make shit up for those people too. "yeah, mines JDM. I'm running nitro meth too. I upgraded the high-speed kanooter valve last week and it made a world of difference! Once the variable timing kicks in, it's crazy. I'm able to pull the wheels in 2nd on street tires."

ViciousJay

Established Member
ive learned to do three things...

1. LAUGH in their face, and send them to an ATM and tell them to race
2. Start answering back to them in jibberish... they will walk away from you...
3. Completely ignore them as if they were a ghost

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a guy tell me that his engine did not have spark plugs because it was turbo-powered. It was a V-6 Mustang with no turbo. I told him the supersonic exhaust must be hell on the manifolds and he said yeah, he was replacing them after every race.

Jim Snover

Stinger2011

Established Member
I work at a grocery store in town. One night, I was closing with the last guy that had my job (night manager). We were talking about an old, stock 94-99 v6 mustang that he'd just bought. An older man (pot smoker in his 50's) heard our conversation and told my boss that his v6 mustang had more torque than my car and would beat it out of the hole and possibly in the 1/8th.

I drive an LS1 Firebird. :dw:

I had a guy tell me that his engine did not have spark plugs because it was turbo-powered. It was a V-6 Mustang with no turbo. I told him the supersonic exhaust must be hell on the manifolds and he said yeah, he was replacing them after every race.

Jim Snover

I'll be the first to say that I don't know a thing about cars compared to you guys, but that's some funny **** right there. Lol.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
If somebody knows cars or loves yours they will be cool and respectful and most likely keep their mouth shut about shit they have no clue about, because they know you will see through them. These people I tolerate and will chat with. Its the people that dont like your "Ford" or are plain jealous because they have a piece of shit that will make shit up in an attempt to make your car looks slow, like you will suddenly be worried they will take you. Just laugh and walk away, Ive done it.

EDIT: Interesting example. I recently started work at a place where pretty much everybody doesnt care about cars and drive Corollas and Focuses, etc. There is a girl there with an 05+ V6 Mustang. Apparently to the unwashed masses there, this car is a "hot rod" and Ive overheard people talk about how fast it is when going for a ride in it, etc etc. Friend of mine that works there said she brags it has a "big block".

These conversations ended when the Terminator came to work.

Last edited:

M3xpress

Established Member
A friend of friend was explaining to me the other day how his Ford "2500" is like an F150 just with a bigger frame. I just replied "oh really".

Normally if it's someone nice, I just carry on a conversation and correct them nicely if they say something I know isn't right.

If it's someone who tends to run their mouth like my friend's buddy above, I normally just smile and go with it. I don't care to argue with them.

Last edited:

BearsFTW18

Established Member
I tell people that my car has stealth mode, and hyperspeed. And that it's also fuel injected with mountain dew.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member

Jim Snover

:lol:

BADSBRD

Established Member
I am consistently surprised by the "car guys" at work that really don't know anything. Even better are the salesmen at the Ford dealers who don't know anything about the cars they're selling or the their predecessors. I've found there are "car owners" and "car guys" they car guys are actually knowledgeable and work on their cars, the others just buy their cars and change the oil. I usually try to tolerate them, especially at work.

Users who are viewing this thread