Identifying engine rebuild parts

Meerology

Established Member
So im about to pull the trigger on a 04 Terminator, only problem is the current owner doesnt know what parts the previous owner used to rebuild the engine apart from the COMP Cams certificate indicating what the lift, duration etc are.

Is there a way to find out what parts have been used other than opening up the engine and checking? Reading the tune perhaps?

The reason Im asking is if I wanted to add/change the bolt ons or go with a bigger blower to be able to get a proper tune for them.

oldmodman

Established Member
Can you do a leakdown test on each cylinder before you buy it?
That will give you at least some assurance that it isn't hurt. YET!
The only way to determine what parts are in it would be to either find and ask the builder or to do a complete tear down.
And even then you would only be able to tell what rods are in it. If you were lucky the pistons would have a manufacturer and a part number on them.
Bearings? I sometime have no idea what brand I am looking at with used bearings. But you could at least inspect them for wear and take measurements of all the important clearances. Rod to crank. Crank to main bearing. Crank end clearance. Piston to piston wall. Ring end clearance. Find out if the timing chains were replaced, modified, or anything.
Is the oil pump stock? New? Or hopefully had new billet gears installed (properly).
Lots to check.

Users who are viewing this thread