Ideas on new Headlights?

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Bad news to report. After a few months of use the lights kept coming unplugged... even when I was driving, it happened twice on the road... I made gtr take them back. I could have modified their connector to possibly make them fit better but I wanted plug and play.

They were bright though! Look at the retrofit source.com Moromoto makes quailty parts and came out with a led light finally.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Thanks for responding with your feedback. Odd that they came unplugged repeatedly. Do you have any pictures you can share? I’m trying to wrap my head around how a headlight connector can become unplugged on its own. As good as your review was of those bulbs I’m considering given them a shot if I can keep them from getting unplugged.

What did you end up with now?

I’ll check out the Morimoto LED- didn’t see that under the options for a 04 Cobra when I was on there yesterday.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Thanks for responding with your feedback. Odd that they came unplugged repeatedly. Do you have any pictures you can share? I’m trying to wrap my head around how a headlight connector can become unplugged on its own. As good as your review was of those bulbs I’m considering given them a shot if I can keep them from getting unplugged.

What did you end up with now?

I’ll check out the Morimoto LED- didn’t see that under the options for a 04 Cobra when I was on there yesterday.
Dont bother...
Their universal connector was to long. For our connector. So it wasn't tight. I tried electrical tape and twist ties to hold it. You would need shave down their connector and hope the clips can hold it together.

Seriously check out moromoto high quality stuff. On the retro fit source.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

03SVT4DWP

Established Member
Just installed the LMR retrofit projectors and... The Driver adjusted just fine and the Pass got almost to the markings on the wall and dropped about two feet down.. UGH! Tech Support! Ha Ha That said they're far superior to OEM bar none!

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Just installed the LMR retrofit projectors and... The Driver adjusted just fine and the Pass got almost to the markings on the wall and dropped about two feet down.. UGH! Tech Support! Ha Ha That said they're far superior to OEM bar none!

That sucks. I've noticed they're not the best build quality but much cheaper than custom retrofits. I just put some Morimoto hid's in mine too.

03SVT4DWP

Established Member
That sucks. I've noticed they're not the best build quality but much cheaper than custom retrofits. I just put some Morimoto hid's in mine too.
Thanks.. How do you like the Morimotos? Discovered the screw in the adjuster went too far forward and no longer could be rotated so I took an adjuster from my old pass housing and it works fine now. LMR said they were Vert and Horiz adjustable but not true with mine. At least I have more light to my left for canyon runs!

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Thanks.. How do you like the Morimotos? Discovered the screw in the adjuster went too far forward and no longer could be rotated so I took an adjuster from my old pass housing and it works fine now. LMR said they were Vert and Horiz adjustable but not true with mine. At least I have more light to my left for canyon runs!

I like the Morimoto. I did a lot of research and all roads seemed to lead to them.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Nope you still have both high beam and low beam with Morimoto H1 HID kit.

I have the Morimoto XB Led fog light kit as well.

Hey thanks for the info

Can i ask about how hot they get? I am considering some and it seems like googling about them doesn't really give much a straight answer. Most of the reviews are people who just installed them and not anyone who has ran them awhile.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Hey thanks for the info

Can i ask about how hot they get? I am considering some and it seems like googling about them doesn't really give much a straight answer. Most of the reviews are people who just installed them and not anyone who has ran them awhile.

I'm afraid I'm not much help on that front either lol.

I've only had them installed for a few weeks and my Cobra is just a weekend toy that gets very little use.

In my research everyone recommended the 35w kit as it throws off much less heat than the 55w while sacrificing light output. I've also read that HID's put out less heat than a comparable halogen bulb.

If you're on the fence I'd say go for it. The light output compared to stock halogen is just amazing and if you live rural like I do the extra light is welcomed.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Good info in here. I'm in no hurry to pay hundreds of dollars on a new lighting setup at this point, but I may someday. Thanks guys.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Good info in here. I'm in no hurry to pay hundreds of dollars on a new lighting setup at this point, but I may someday. Thanks guys.

Technically, you don't have to spend hundreds.
I bought an HID Bi-xenon projector kit on Amazon (DDM Tuning) for $150. Came with projectors, install hardware, shrouds, and HID kit.
I installed a set in my 07 Fusion OEM lights and it is beautiful light output. No, really, it's pretty damn nice. A huge improvement over the OEM halogen reflector lights, and amazing light output.
After a few months, I bought another set for my wife's Grand Cherokee. She LOVES them.

Last edited:

03SVT4DWP

Established Member
Nope you still have both high beam and low beam with Morimoto H1 HID kit.

I have the Morimoto XB Led fog light kit as well.
Really appreciate all your input on this topic.. Is your kit the Elite? Ready to purchase but different venders have different names I noticed.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I've found that the HID projectors damage the black trim where the light hits it. It gets a little deformed there (the black trim directly below/in front of where the projector lens is at), making it look like the trim was cheaply painted. But the stock reflector, housing and lens take the heat just fine without any issues. Note that this is just cosmetic damage - it does not affect the actual performance of the headlight. Most people will probably not notice the deformation at all unless you point it out. At some point I'll test some ways to actually mitigate this issue. I do recommend the 35W over the 55W for this reason although I still see the deformation show when using 35W bulbs. The headlights otherwise could handle the heat just fine.

I imagine it is possible that having LED projector might not cause this issue.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I've found that the HID projectors damage the black trim where the light hits it. It gets a little deformed there (the black trim directly below/in front of where the projector lens is at), making it look like the trim was cheaply painted. But the stock reflector, housing and lens take the heat just fine without any issues. Note that this is just cosmetic damage - it does not affect the actual performance of the headlight. Most people will probably not notice the deformation at all unless you point it out. At some point I'll test some ways to actually mitigate this issue. I do recommend the 35W over the 55W for this reason although I still see the deformation show when using 35W bulbs. The headlights otherwise could handle the heat just fine.

I imagine it is possible that having LED projector might not cause this issue.
I had a 55 watt HID ddm tuning kit in both my 01 and 04 cobra and it was used it all the time. I never had issues with the stock headlight housing or fog lights deforming ...

I didn't have a projector...

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'd agree - just putting an HID bulb in the stock housing won't cause any issues. The small issue I mentioned is with projector retrofits.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I'd agree - just putting an HID bulb in the stock housing won't cause any issues. The small issue I mentioned is with projector retrofits.
I really appreciate this thread and the info.

I have struggled to find out this type of stuff when searching online, and there is no real straight answers of what does and doesn't work or yet even what works well.

As these cars start to turn 15+ years old we are all seeing the same issues with the oem headlights clouding....

Thank you for chiming in with good information.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread