Ideal Oil Temperature

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Without really researching I picked up a 160* Thermostat and after doing a little bit of reading post-purchase I have found a few articles that claim this is "too cold" and "will not allow the oil to reach the proper temperature". However, none of the authors make mention of what this "ideal temperature" is or provide data to support this claim.

I have learned that typically ECT temps are 6-8* higher than the temperature rating of the installed thermostat due to the nature of things like heatsoak, ambient air, etc. so I have to assume that even a 160* T-Stat will still operate somewhere near the 170's. So I am here asking all of you who have knowledge on the subject to share your insight with me and any tips you may have for a standard drain/flush procedure of the cooling system on the 4.6 would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jon96cobra

Established Member
Due to the nature of the Coolant cross over tube make sure you can remove the fill plug first before draining the coolant. Only thing I have heard while running the colder thermostats some have run into emissions problems since the motor doesn't get hot enough. I just used the stock thermostat and ran water wetter and hooked up a switch to run the high speed fan to cool down the radiator while running at the track.

BlownCobra32v

Kickin' back
Established Member
I have a 160* T-stat and a large Radiator, no problems. But I don't know what the proper oil temp is supposed to be

Users who are viewing this thread