Ice your cobra? Let Vortech Help!

Juiced-03

Established Member
Wow that looks cool! So would this make more sense than a heat exchanger? And if you fill it with ice, how long will it last? So that means if you want to use ice you would have to drain all of the coolant and ice out and refill it with new coolant during regular days?? I dont really understand!

Aaron_01

Banned
Originally posted by Juiced-03
Wow that looks cool! So would this make more sense than a heat exchanger? And if you fill it with ice, how long will it last? So that means if you want to use ice you would have to drain all of the coolant and ice out and refill it with new coolant during regular days?? I dont really understand!

EDIT: Nevermind, read it more closely, now Im more confused than before

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
That's kinda weird. Why wouldn't they just sell the 2 kits together if the battery needs located? :shrug:

Good info though. How will this affect performance, other than at the track?

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
You would use it with your heat excanger I dont like it because the stock unit is replaces has a cap that would let air out at certain pressures.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Its mainly for the race guys If you look back in the old MM&FF or was it the 5.0 anyway they had a shoot out between 2 cobras and I believe Nitros Pete used the same set up. If you look on mag web site look under articles and you will find it.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Aaron_01.,,,,,,I dont see the other tank you are talking about??

Aaron_01

Banned
Originally posted by Juiced-03
Aaron_01.,,,,,,I dont see the other tank you are talking about??

Yah I re looked at it and saw I was wrong. I closed the pic before I posted so.... I really dont know

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
ok, it's not with the battery kit b/c you can use your own batt. relocate kit, find another or you may already have it relocated(it's always a good idea to trunk the battery).
It works like what you have now but holds almost 1000% more water. More water means better cooling effic. PLUS, at the track you can fill it with ICE and water. All you do is open the valve, drain the "old" water out, close it and fill it with "new" ice and water. This can lower your discharge temps by well over 30 degrees(maybe a lot more 50+???). Thats worth a lot of HP and better throttle response. The extra water on the street will stop the stock system from becoming heat saturated as quick as it does now. Remember, those eaton's throw out a LOT of heat!
Btw, for the record, I don't work at Vortech any more(I did a year ago, for those that don't know me) but have their stuff on my Mach 1 and though this might interest you guys.

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
AHHH ok!! So the coolant is separate from the ice/water reservoir? I was just curious how the water is separated from the coolant so you dont drain the coolant when you just want to drain the water.

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
That kit the coolant and ice you would add are not seperate it's just a bigger resovoir and the ice wont last long at all trust me.

Juiced-03

Established Member
So when you go to drain out the water, are you also draining out the coolant with it??? Or is there a way that separates it so you dont waste coolant?

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
The ideal way to do this would be to put copper coils inside and let the coolant go through there but that is not the way this one works. This is just a larger resevoir and if you add ice it will mix in with your current coolant.

Juiced-03

Established Member
ahhh I see! Thanks for the clarification. I dont like that idea at all though. I would always be adding ice to the mix and would alway be draining it. Seems like it would be a waste of expensive coolant all the time.

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
You wont have to drain the coolant everyday..eventually you are obviously going to have to change it..But its a great mod for the track and what not...have you ever noticed back to back runs on an Eaton Cobra? After a couple stragith runs the car becomes inconsistent, this is were the H.E. and Cooler come into place.

If it wasnt a good mod why would Stricly Pro and Nitrous Pete have it on?

Silver 03 Cobra

redaddiction is right. It adds volume. I have always heard not to put tap water in a radiator. When you put ice in it you can introduce corrusion in your HE and your intercooler. I'm not sure how much it will hold but my chiller holds 28 pounds of ice and it will melt it in a little over 1/2 mile of hard driving and that's through copper coils. I doubt it will do much once hot water circulates around and hits what ice is left. I have reservations it will last 1/4 mile. With ice added, you will reduce the amount of liquid so it won't take long for heated coolant to exit the intercooler and hit it and melt the ice quickly. I would plumb it after the HE. This unit will not be a closed system and you will have to siphon out coolant to make room for ice. I think a bigger HE would be a better deal than this unit. I would wait and let someone test it before I plopped down money. This maybe another product that looks good but doesn't yield anything.

It may add 940% to the stock reservoir but it ain't even close to 50% over the entire system. That statement is misleading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread