ic resevoir

jetboatjockey

Established Member
hello, new to the forum & need advice. 07 svt gt 500, 800 hp kit from vmp installed myself. bj gave excellent advice and all went well, 91 octane tune. 60 plus days later , on wide open lonely strech, pulled about everthing it would do. 60 degree outside temp probably 2 min duration. antifreeze on windshield,from driver side hood vent. checked out, loss of fluid from ic res, perhaps a cup. some loss of power. normal engine temp no cel. i let it cool down, added gold antifreeze, called bj. he scared me, said to take to the ford dealer. they did not seem to have a clue. i might add that i have driven the car half dozen time since with no symptons at all. normal power, every thing seems fine. i pressure tested the tank for 20 min. at 15 lbs. no loss of pressure at all. i have changed the 16 lb. cap. my delima is i do not know where to go from here, no idea what to tear into. i have tried to research this problem on this and other forums. i have seen where a swap to bigger tanks is done but not the symptons i have had. any thoughts would be much appreciated. thanks, respectfully nelson

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
First determine is your intercooler pump is running. Second make sure that you don't have air in the intecooler system and that coolant is actually moving through the intercooler. If neither one of these are occurring, you're probably boiling coolant that's trapped in the intercooler.

jetboatjockey

Established Member
i forgot to mention, that yes coolant is moving & pump is always running. does not seem to be air locked at all. 50 s & 60 s for air temp , thanks for the idea. guess i will just run. respectfully nelson

Shelby_SVT_2012

Established Member
Maybe check the cap or reservoir for any damage that would keep it from properly sealing? Maybe overfilled?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Are you still on the stock heat exchanger? If so, you just overheated your heat exchanger fluid with your 800hp and a long top speed pull.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
^^^^^^ Ford gave us a great intercooler, but the heat exchanger is a joke when you start bumping up the power. You need to pick up a 3x reservoir from VMP in addition to a 3 pass heat exchanger. VMP makes a very good 3 pass (well, made for them) and also has IC pump triggered cooling fans. Its an always on thing. I honestly pull the fuses if Im just driving normally or casually and BJ has scolded me but eh. On track days where I know ill be in the staging lanes between runs, or I know Ill be pounding on the car that day, fuses in and fans on ALWAYS.

There are other great options out there for heat exchangers but you gotta do it. You will continue to boil your intercooler fluid until you do. Some even upgrade the pump itself to a monster unit, but I find the 3 pass heat exchanger is more than enough for all but the most extreme builds.

Willie

Established Member
Very interesting to read this. I almost missed it. A couple of years ago, on a 1/4-mile pass, towards the end of the run, revving near redline in third gear (with 3.31's and 28.8-inch tires, I never shifted into fourth), my windshield also got a dousing of anti-freeze. I almost freaked out because I could not see! I checked everything out and could not locate the source of the leak. I had the system pressure tested to no avail. But it did not do this again..... for about one year. Then the scenario repeated itself.

I never did figure out what was going on, but a couple of years ago, I lowered my IC reservoir fluid level and this has not happened again.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
^^^^^^ Ford gave us a great intercooler, but the heat exchanger is a joke when you start bumping up the power. You need to pick up a 3x reservoir from VMP in addition to a 3 pass heat exchanger. VMP makes a very good 3 pass (well, made for them) and also has IC pump triggered cooling fans. Its an always on thing. I honestly pull the fuses if Im just driving normally or casually and BJ has scolded me but eh. On track days where I know ill be in the staging lanes between runs, or I know Ill be pounding on the car that day, fuses in and fans on ALWAYS.

There are other great options out there for heat exchangers but you gotta do it. You will continue to boil your intercooler fluid until you do. Some even upgrade the pump itself to a monster unit, but I find the 3 pass heat exchanger is more than enough for all but the most extreme builds.

Ford gave a great intercooler for the 500-550hp level in a stock 2007-2012 GT500, Ford upsized the intercooler for the 662hp 2013. If a car is 800hp, is the larger 2013 I/C even enough to efficiently remove the heat if Ford upsized it from 550 to 662?

If Ford felt that an I/C upsize was needed from 550 to 662, I wonder how many modified 2007-2012 GT500's are not performing as well as they could, if they were to upgrade to "at minimum" the specs that Ford found to work best at the 662 level?

Below is a link to the 2007-2012, the 2013/14 and the KB BIGUN I/C's and their specs..........

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/SC_pg/Bigun_pg/bigun_intercooler.htm

R

Last edited:

Sielmo

Established Member
See my post about Intercooler issues. I had to burp my system to get it working. I only discovered that my IC pump wasnt working (the fans were operating) when I was doing some hard driving and noticed a lack of power without CELs. It felt like I had heat soak issues so I started poking around and discovered my new pump wasnt moving the fluid.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I follow your logic Robert. I did read the intercooler was upgraded, and by all accounts the Trinity intercooler is awesome. BUT the reason they did it was that they still did not provide a heat exchanger that was more than a single pass AND still did not come with dedicated cooling fans. The upgraded intercooler HAD to be more efficient with a higher volume pump because of that.

For my stock set up, I noticed real quick with spirited stop and go driving she started to fall off a bit. I put in my 3x reservoir, triple pass heat exchanger with twin 11" fans, smaller pulley and high perf tune and ive never had an issue with high IATs. Intercooler is good, its supporting hardware wasnt up to snuff.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I follow your logic Robert. I did read the intercooler was upgraded, and by all accounts the Trinity intercooler is awesome. BUT the reason they did it was that they still did not provide a heat exchanger that was more than a single pass AND still did not come with dedicated cooling fans. The upgraded intercooler HAD to be more efficient with a higher volume pump because of that.

For my stock set up, I noticed real quick with spirited stop and go driving she started to fall off a bit. I put in my 3x reservoir, triple pass heat exchanger with twin 11" fans, smaller pulley and high perf tune and ive never had an issue with high IATs. Intercooler is good, its supporting hardware wasnt up to snuff.

I also wonder if the 2013 I/C and it's better 1109 CFM "through flow" was added because the 5.8 got a bigger blower, the TVS that many have installed on their earlier cars. Did the SVT engineers find that the 995 CFM I/C that is standard on the earlier cars with the smaller Eaton, was not the most efficient for flow once the blower is upsized?

........and then what about the even larger flow of the bigger blowers?

R

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
They also upgraded the intercooler because of the 200mph top speed. Motor Trend did a test in AZ, and a stock 2013, at altitude (3000ft?) and 90F did 195mph. Thats really mindblowing!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
They also upgraded the intercooler because of the 200mph top speed. Motor Trend did a test in AZ, and a stock 2013, at altitude (3000ft?) and 90F did 195mph. Thats really mindblowing!

^^^^I agree. It took almost 2 miles to get there, but any street legal, 50 state emissions friendly Mustang getting to 200mph is a big deal. I wonder how close my blunt nosed 2008 725 Super Snake could get to 200mph, with the 3.73's swapped out for 3.31's?

The CFM flow comparison for the I/C's is still interesting. At what point does an I/C become a restriction under the blower and upsizing is required to get the maximum efficient flow? and "if" the installed blower is larger than the smaller original to the car blower, does a lesser flow capability through the I/C cause more heat to build?

All of this is engineering questions, the only facts that we do know, is that Ford/SVT engineers put a bigger blower on the 2013, they upsized the I/C for better CFM air flow, also the H/E and pump for that system and then the radiator shroud for better air flow through the H/E. <<All at the 662hp level. There are many GT500's on this forum (and others) that are well past the 662hp level.

R

jetboatjockey

Established Member
intercooler problem

wow, just checked this thread and great responses. initially only one response. i have been driving the car with no issues, guardedly at best. my mind has been greatly releived, thanks to all & especially this forum. respectfully nelson

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Did you fix the issues or just accept the fact you might have over-heated the coolant?

jetboatjockey

Established Member
shun, i ordered the vmp ic reservoir, my ic temp hardly rises even when i run aggresively. i am older feller and just enjoy the car. i think the extra fluid will be a good fix for me. i can get by myself and enjoy the acceleration with out to much abuse of the car. still the orginal clutch at 20k + miles. probably the next up grade. appreciate all the info people have given. thanks nelson

Users who are viewing this thread