IC fluid in intake manifold

heywaitfourme

Established Member
My problem just keeps getting worse. In my other thread I had a problem and started investigating, found I have a bad coil pack. Now, after removing the blower, I see that I have 1/2 gallon of IC coolant in my lower intake. The engine oil is draining as we speak. I looked over the I/C and could find NOHTINGS wrong with it. No cracks, everything is torqued, and retorqued and rechecked. I just got it back together, and I used some hi temp rtv on EVERYTHING. I'm going to see if this works.

Has anyone had this problem? I don't think I have a bad headgasket, but will be pressure testing the system once I get my gauges back(sat). I know the coolant can get into the oil thru the pcv system, and that appears to be the way it's been getting there. When I pulled the hoses, the hoses were coated with fluid, and it didn't smell like oil.

Please help. If I have a bad headgasket, I'm selling my quad, building a block, goin TT, ported heads with cams, and a custom fuel system. We all know that if there is a bad headgasket, something caused it, and it's usually a very good sign of a bad motor.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It is from removing your blower. When you loosen the IC tubes some coolant will leak into the lower manifold. But it is nothing to worry about. You can also stand your IC on it's end, fill it with water and see if it leaks from anywhere.

-Jeff

heywaitfourme

Established Member
I know some leaks in, but NOT a 1/2 gallon. I had the IC res drained before I even attempted the removal. The Intercooler doesn't leak, It was full of fluid on it's end, and upside down as I looked for leaks. Only time it leaked is when I dumped it out.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
There is no other way for coolant to get there. There isn't any way for engine coolant to get there from what I have seen.

-Jeff

pianoman90

Established Member
I'm gonna agree with Hissman on this one. I recently swapped my blower and I had a good bit of coolant in my intake manifold - as you described. I think the 1/2 gallon of coolant is a combination of the 2 external tubes (ones from the intercooler reservoir) being disconnected and leaking...plus the 2 internal tubes that are removed from the intercooler itself. And remember, there is still a good deal of coolant in the intercooler itself that can spill when tilted (something I didn't realize when I removed the blower, let's just say I made a mess lol)

I wouldn't begin to worry about anything, unless you are continually having to refill your reservoir with coolant.

heywaitfourme

Established Member
its not engine coolant. My ice box IS EMPTY after only 3 minutes of idling. WHERE IS IT GOING? The car will start and rev awesome, for about 30 seconds, ONLY after having it put together. Once it shuts off from sputtering, it won't idle, or rev. I'm getting VERY frustrated. The car may end up sitting outside until I finish the bike trailer and bike, and anything else I decide to start.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like there is a leak in the IC somewhere that may not be apparent until pressure increases in the system. Be careful with this because if coolant is going into the combustion chambers, it can break stuff when the piston comes up and can't compress the liquid.

heywaitfourme

Established Member
NEW o-rings put it, all new gaskets with hi temp rtv. I talked with rick at amazon, he thinks I may have a hole in my Intercooler.

At this point, I'm putting a lot of consideration into going TT.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
We've had several folks forget to put antifreeze back in their intercooler system after racing season and a good cold day freezes the water and cracks the intercooler. Real mess, sounds just like your symptoms. Look that intercooler over REAL good.

Last edited:

heywaitfourme

Established Member
I"m going to get another set of pressure testers. I'm pretty sure Ironterp hit the nail on the head. I only put a 10% concentration of antifreeze in it this winter because it sat inside a garage. Aparently, that wasn't enough.

heywaitfourme

Established Member
I know, I know, I know. I'm a MORON. I normally only run 15% but figured 10 would be alright since the car was kept in a garage! Never again, for now on, from October till April I'll be running 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water.

Users who are viewing this thread