IAT2's seem kinda high ???

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Got a question guys. Today was my first time data logging. And keep in mind it was a 100 plus degrees out and car was already heat soaked from a long drive earlier. But my IAT2' temps were consistantly above 160 degrees from the time I started it till the time I brought it back after about 15 min of just normal cruising. I also took it on the highway and temps didn't drop much. Is this normal? The car is completly stock no pullies , and stock air cleaner assembly .Seems pretty hot how can I tell if my Intercooler pump is working? or is this normal with the ambient temps so high?

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
Seems alittle high. I drove mine yesterday in the 103* heat & mine got up to about 140* sitting at the stop lights. That's the highest I've ever seen mine.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If water is being pumped into your IC reservoir then the pump is working.

-Jeff

djtyau

Established Member
lloyyd said:
Seems alittle high. I drove mine yesterday in the 103* heat & mine got up to about 140* sitting at the stop lights. That's the highest I've ever seen mine.

+1

04CobraMatt

Established Member
djtyau said:

They easily get higher than that. run the car to full temp and park it for 25min. Get back in and drive-off you'll be at 150-160 easily, especially on a sunny day. Once you get air on the H/E things cool down quick, but sitting for 25min with 190*+ coolant surrounding the I/C drives up the temps. Its probably what happen to JedWele, on a hot day the car has a tougher time bringing it back down, especially in light to light driving.

The I/C pump is set to only turn on after a certain temp, but if memory serves that temp setting is so low that only winter time conditions would enable it to turn off.

djtyau

Established Member
Yeah, I know. I was just agreeing with the 140 temp reading at the stop light. That is why I believe that a upgrade HE and/or a reservoir won't do crap for a daily driver in stop and go traffic.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Well guys I don't think my IC pump is working at all. I was checking it out today, and I haven't noticed fluid moving at all in the resovoir and I drove it around for a while. Anyone know how to replace the pumps and where thier located?

djtyau

Established Member
Bottom right corner near the bumper. It is really easy to replace. Mine did the same thing while I was on the dyno and to get it to work temporarily was to lightly hit it with a screwdriver handle.

04CobraMatt

Established Member
JedWele said:
Well guys I don't think my IC pump is working at all. I was checking it out today, and I haven't noticed fluid moving at all in the resovoir and I drove it around for a while. Anyone know how to replace the pumps and where thier located?

First check the relay, try forcing it on by shorting it with a peice of wire. When you do with the engine off you can hear the pump running.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f17/intercooler-pump-jumper-mod-14031.html

Last edited:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
djtyau said:
Yeah, I know. I was just agreeing with the 140 temp reading at the stop light. That is why I believe that a upgrade HE and/or a reservoir won't do crap for a daily driver in stop and go traffic.

I agree, although running around the city with a couple friends hitting 2nd-3rd gear full boost pulls over and over again, it does keep the temps in check.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Thanks cobra matt! I can hear the pump running when I jump it but no coolant movement? Is there possibly air in the system how can I get it out?

djtyau

Established Member
04CobraMatt said:
I agree, although running around the city with a couple friends hitting 2nd-3rd gear full boost pulls over and over again, it does keep the temps in check.

Okay, I guess that makes sense. I just had high expectations with an upgrade HE and spal fans. When I datalogged the IAT2 temps I noticed no difference when driving around. However, I didn't do any back to back WOT blasts. Maybe like you are saying that is where the benefit comes in.

04CobraMatt

Established Member
JedWele said:
Thanks cobra matt! I can hear the pump running when I jump it but no coolant movement? Is there possibly air in the system how can I get it out?

stock H/E... dunno, they dont have a pressure valve... I guess you would have to pull one of the hoses off the H/E to drain some fluid and maybe get the air pocket out, If its an Aftermarket it should have a pressure release valve you un-screw, air should push out first, just re-tighten when you see water start to pour out.

I had that exact issue when i installed my LFP.

Last edited:

djtyau

Established Member
JedWele said:

I am telling you hit the little bugger.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I tried tapping it , but didnt' seem to make a differance I mean it is running already just doesn't seem to be moving the coolant.
I did squeeze the hoses coming right off of it, and it feels like there is some kind of movement and when I crimp the hose the motor changes pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread