IAT2 vs. MPH track results and data... any takeaways from this?

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I'm trying to look at the relationship between IAT2s and trap speed at the 1/4. Below is a chart that shows average IAT2 vs. MPH. There are two data series, Atco (in blue) and Lebanon Valley (in red). Average IAT2 was calculated as a simple average of the IAT2 at the time of launch and IAT2 crossing the 1/4.

I was able to estimate density altitude at both tracks using dragtimes.com's DA calculator:
Lebanon Valley (9/25/15) @ 10 AM: 348; @ 1 PM: 703; @ 4 PM: 956
Atco (10/8/15) @ 10 AM: 112; @ 1 PM: 845; @ 4 PM: 951

I plotted my best 11 runs from each track rental:

IAT2avgvsMPH.jpg

Obviously there are tons of variables which impact trap speed that are not captured here. And, I was certainly more consistent at LVD (less MPH variance). But it looks like my car's trap speed was more sensitive to IAT2s (as seen by the steeper slope in the graph) at the Lebanon track day vs. the Atco track day. Also, looks my car was running hotter at Lebanon in general. What are your guys' thoughts?

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Those IAT2's are just stupid John. That 2.8 is a hot box and not worth a shit....ditch it and go TVS and never look back. You seen what those two guys were running yesterday with my work done to them.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Yeah I will agree that PJ's and Tom's TVS setups were crushing my KB. Same tuner (Bill), stock bottom end, etc. Those TVS guys were running 10+ mph faster.

Blackmax

Established Member
Yeah I will agree that PJ's and Tom's TVS setups were crushing my KB. Same tuner (Bill), stock bottom end, etc. Those TVS guys were running 10+ mph faster.

They weren't crushing your KB they were crushing your car. Guys with KB 2.8 are running 8's , compare apples to apples. Can't imagine you want to through all the hassle and money to swap blowers. Do you have the exact same mods? Same boost an car weight? The list goes on including driving skills.

Joewee500

Established Member
You couldn't possibly have any cooling mods. Mine are at least 20degrees cooler than yours. I played the hand I was delt and rolled with this 2.8. Sure I wish I would have dumped the 2.8 and with a vmp gen 2 but it is what it is. It's not the kenne bells fault you don't have an aftermarket heat exchanger. Now if you do have an aftermarket he then I don't know what's up.

Edit: I looked at your mods and I'm at a loss. No clue why IATs are so high. Mine aren't close to that on any datalogs I've done. our cars look to have similar mods except I'm on e85. If my car doesn't break 130 when I take it to the track I'm selling it.

Last edited:

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
They weren't crushing your KB they were crushing your car. Guys with KB 2.8 are running 8's , compare apples to apples. Can't imagine you want to through all the hassle and money to swap blowers. Do you have the exact same mods? Same boost an car weight? The list goes on including driving skills.

I didn't notice any significant weight reduction mods on any of the TVS cars. As far as driving skills go, I focused only on trap speed (not ET) as it isolates out a good bit of noise related to driving style. And, you're right. It isn't apples to apples. I am pretty sure they had trunk mount expansion tanks. That would account for some difference in mph. I would be curious to see what IAT2 drop and mph gain I would see from a trunk mount expansion tank.

IIRC the person running 93 octane was at 21 psi on his TVS vs my 17 psi (I'm on a 3" pulley). But then again I've been told by several that you do not want to run <3" on the KB if using 93 octane due to risk of detonation. If this is true, then could I never truly have an apples to apples comparison even with a trunk mount expansion tank?

Joewee500

Established Member
What did you dyno at ProEdge? Mine at 18lbs and 93oct only put down 625whp. That's the reason I went to e85. We always want more.

MattR

Established Member
Have people been inflating this 2.8 cars? It certainly seems like the TVS cars dyno higher and put out better numbers. My 2.8 has not been on a dyno but I was certainly sold a 700+ hp pile of parts. I kind of doubt it has anywhere near that though.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
With the Dynatech super cats installed it put down 633 whp on his mustang. The cats started to fail so we swapped in the o/r x-pipe. Bill adjusted timing for the catless system but I didn't pay to have the car dynod again. His guess was that it gained 10 whp from ditching the cats and 5 whp from the tune adjustment.

Joewee500

Established Member
Have people been inflating this 2.8 cars? It certainly seems like the TVS cars dyno higher and put out better numbers. My 2.8 has not been on a dyno but I was certainly sold a 700+ hp pile of parts. I kind of doubt it has anywhere near that though.

I don't think they are inflated. It was top dog for a while. Plenty dynoing 700+whp with them. Tons of time slips in the 10s and traps in the 130s. The OP has 17lbs peak boost but probably a 14-15 lbs through most the rpm range.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I don't think they are inflated. It was top dog for a while. Plenty dynoing 700+whp with them. Tons of time slips in the 10s and traps in the 130s. The OP has 17lbs peak boost but probably a 14-15 lbs through most the rpm range.

I had peak boost of 19 psi and an average of 17 psi. That was with cats. Not sure if/how the numbers changed once the cats were removed.

Joewee500

Established Member
Oh, you stated earlier that you had 17lbs. You and I have close to the same boost. I want to do the 3" pulley and bring rev limit down to 6200. Just want it to hit harder in the mid range.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Oh, you stated earlier that you had 17lbs. You and I have close to the same boost. I want to do the 3" pulley and bring rev limit down to 6200. Just want it to hit harder in the mid range.

Are you planning on going to the strip anytime soon? If so, would you log IAT2 for your runs?

Joewee500

Established Member
I'm going in a couple weeks. I will be logging. I have done lots of street logs and haven't seen temps as high as yours but maybe the track will be different.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I beat this horse to death 3 years ago with my vmp Gen1 vs 2.8 KB track day comparison ...the vmp Gen1 was bone stock no porting...he made 21psi I made 19 psi he went 10.99 I went 11.01 ...both on 20's

Joewee500

Established Member
So what you're saying is the 2.8 isn't junk, it's just not as good as a non-ported tvs. Guess I need to add some boost to this turd.

Last edited:

TVS VERT

Established Member
Bang for the buck hands down no betting a TVS Car but the 2.8 KB is hardly junk.... Ben's car current member on here.....stock long block at 9.83

[video=youtube;EAco17pNcac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAco17pNcac[/video]

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Bang for the buck hands down no betting a TVS Car but the 2.8 KB is hardly junk.... Ben's car current member on here.....stock long block at 9.83

[video=youtube;EAco17pNcac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAco17pNcac[/video]

Maybe "junk" was a tad harsh....but the way KB pushes those blowers hypes them so much it's rediculous...definately out matched at ANY boost level vs a TVS

Users who are viewing this thread